how to shut down TimeMachine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Oct 30, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

In the morning, I boot up my Mac. I run it for 2 hours then I'm off to Panera. I usually eject my external HD's before I put the Mac to sleep. Can I do the same with the HD that houses Time Machine (TM) backup??? I don't want to screw TM up.

Thanks.

Frank

2. DanB91 macrumors 6502

u can eject them when ever u want, even when theyre transferring files

3. Ctrl2k macrumors member

Yes, if you eject the TM disk or don't have it on or connected, TM will just wait until the disk is available again to do the next backup.

I am very impressed with TM.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you dont need to do anything! thats the beauty of time machine :) when you eject your external disk time machine just waits until you re attach or mount the disk then it starts where it left off. just leave time machine on in system preferences and eject your external disk. then when you get home attach it or remount it and time machine will start the backup straight away. since you did nothing on the imac while you were gone the backup will be instant.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry, TM is connected to my MacBook Pro that goes with me. The TM external HD stays at home. Does that change anything??

Frank

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

then your macbook pro tracks changes to files while your away with a special daemon that makes "hard links". when you get home and connect the external time machine backs up the changes to these files by reading the hard links... just beautiful isn't it! [crawls under desk and cries]

7. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I have a MBP. Can you explain that again? Thanks!!

Bill.....:confused:

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

assuming youve done your first initial big time machine backup, every time you disconnect your external drive from your macbook pro (take it to uni, work whatever) a special "daemon" tracks changes that youve made to files and makes "hard-links". when you reconnect your external drive time machine reads the "hard-links" and makes changes to your last backed up files. if its a new file it backs up the whole thing. see this for more info http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html