How to sign unsigned software? - PlexMediaServer

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jdaniel, Nov 1, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I followed some instructions I found online and they did not work.

How do I sign this unsigned software so I can stop it from asking me if I want to allow incoming connections each time I restart my computer or restart the app?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe only the developer can sign their apps.

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

no...thanks for trying tho

4. anzio macrumors 6502

maflynn is right. It sounds like you're hitting the firewall message, in which case you may need to add an exception.

Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall Options -> Click the + sign and find PlexMediaServer and add it with "Allow Incoming Connections"

If it's on the list, you may have a corrupt firewall configuration. https://discussions.apple.com/message/9853708 will assist in fixing that.

5. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Guys I've done all of that the only way to fix it is to sign the software if you don't know how to do it that's fine I found a tutorial online it didn't quite work all the way prob coz of mavericks so just looking for someone with the answer thanks :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. Treksdot macrumors regular

Have you tried opening System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and setting Allow apps downloaded from to Anywhere under General?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That works but you still get a warning initially about running an app downloaded from the internet and that's what the OP wants to stop I believe.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Then it's working as designed/desired.

OP - it's not for you to sign code. Ever.

If you want to install apps that aren't signed, then you can (temporarily, if you wish) modify your privacy settings to allow installation.

That's it.

10. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

you have no idea what you are talking about.. nevermind...i am not here to ask about something I know nothing about but rather seek clarification on a method I found online...if you dont know thats ok thank you very much have a nice day.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Could you point me to the method you found online?

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Wut? Show us this apparent method.

13. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I will when I find it again

----------

You might wanna read what I said in my original post jeeeeez

14. mannyo1221 macrumors member

There is a new version of Plex Media Server, and its signed to work correctly in OSX Mavericks. However this version is currently only available to plexpass subscribers (0.9.8.11)

15. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

You don't unless you have a $99 developer account with Apple. If there were a way around this it would be a huge security flaw and would obviously be patched extremely quickly.

16. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

thats good to know..thanks

17. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

OP is crazy. To sign your apps, you need to have the original source code and build it using Xcode with your registered developer profile.

If OP wants to " stop it from asking me if I want to allow incoming connections each time I restart my computer or restart the app", he should follow anzio's instructions on how to set an exception in the OS X Firewall policy. You can also simply disable the OS X firewall, which will prevent the message from coming up for all applications.

The message OP is complaining about actually has nothing to do with the signing of an application, and only has to do with the firewall. Application signing only applies to the first run of an application, and all rules regarding signed apps can be turned off by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Allow apps download from and selecting "Anywhere".

18. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

why some people like to state the obvious is beyond me.. if you car is making weird noises dont drive the car.. you wont hear the noise.... righhhht..as if I did not know that...

I do not have the energy or will to argue with people who have no idea what they are on about... installing an app that is not signed is a diff issue than firewall..keep asking u each and every time to allow incoming connections even after you have allowed it... that according to what I have read has got to do with signing as well....

nvm people...it's ok..to not respond if you have nothing to contribute....

----------

This is the elusive page I was talking about: http://silvanolte.com/blog/2011/01/...ation-to-accept-incoming-network-connections/

I tried it but I prob need to do it again I was not paying attention as to where it failed... wonder if it is mavericks

19. okatomy macrumors newbie

+1

running Plex Media Server without described issues here.

20. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Good for you congrats

----------

Btw stop trolling, nothing to contribute move along