How to Sign Up For an Apple News+ Subscription

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today unveiled its rumored premium Apple News subscription service, Apple News+. Apple News+ provides access to more than 300 magazines and a handful of paywalled news articles from sites like The Wall Street Journal all for $9.99 per month.

[​IMG]

Signing up for an Apple News subscription can be done in the U.S. or Canada on an iPhone or iPad running iOS 12.2. Here's how:
    1. Open up the Apple News App.
    2. Tap on the "News+" tab at the bottom of the screen.
    3. Tap on "Get Started."
    4. Choose "Try It Free" to initiate a trial subscription. You'll be charged $9.99 per month when the 30-day trial period ends.
      [​IMG]
    5. Confirm your payment with Face ID or Touch ID.
    From there, you'll have access to a new "My Magazines" section of the app where you can see featured magazines, browse the entire collection, or select from various categories like Cars, Entertainment, Food, Health, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Outdoors, and more.

[​IMG]

There are a selection of stories that are curated by Apple's editors and organized to highlight specific articles.

[​IMG]

Apple News+ magazines provide animated covers and a table of contents right up top so you can select the articles that are most interesting to you.

[​IMG]

The rest of the Apple News interface features rich, full-screen imagery and a digital-optimized reading experience for key stories.

[​IMG]

Cancelling your Apple News+ Subscription

If you want to cancel your Apple News+ subscription so you don't get charged $9.99 per month after your trial period ends, here's how:
    1. Tap on the "Following" tab in the Apple News app.
    2. Tap on "Manage Subscriptions."
    3. Tap on "Cancel Free Trial."
      [​IMG]
    Make sure you don't cancel your Apple News+ subscription until you've finished giving the service a try because Apple says that your service ends immediately if you hit the cancel button. We recommend setting a calendar reminder to cancel before 30 days is up if you want the full trial experience.

Apple News+ content can be read on iPhone, iPad, and Mac, with iOS 12.2 or macOS 10.14.4 required. You can also sign up for an Apple News+ subscription using these same steps in the Apple New+ tab in the macOS Mojave app.

Article Link: How to Sign Up For an Apple News+ Subscription

2. Lerxt macrumors regular

Yeah. No. I’m not participating in subscriptions any longer.

3. Dominicanyor macrumors 65816

Dominicanyor

Are people actually going to pay for news magazines?

4. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

They have for decades, though I often have trouble figuring out why.

5. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Has anybody with a regular non US Apple ID, but with a US Apple ID tried signing up with the American one and next setting the Apple ID back to the non US one.... does that work? I’m in the Netherlands but I have an American Apple ID, and I can get the screen to sign up to News+ but since I don’t have sufficient funds (and no American iTunes card available right now) I can’t try it out. I get an error message saying I don’t have enough funds.

Am I making sense? Lol it’s late and I feel I’m rambling

6. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

Thanks for this help to sign up for Apple News+

7. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Came here because I am having a difficult time actually getting the trial to work. It keeps failing....

Of course another thread of people bashing the service? Get a grip folks, the world doesn't revolve around you. Will someone start a thread "Comment if you Hate News+" so you all can be in misery together and leave these other threads for their intended purpose.

8. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

My only magazine subscription is at the doctors office and only when I have nothing at all I can do on my iphone which is pretty much never.

9. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

The people on here are so edgy and cool. They don't read magazines...
    Guess what, that means the service isn't for you. Some people don't want movies enough to warrant Netflix. Other's don't need Spotify. Do we have to hear about it? Nope.

10. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

Does the "Change Region" trick still work to get the News app?

11. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

It’s really great!

Picked out a dozen good mags!

Hope they bring more
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    National Geographic and scI American. Road and track. Lots of stuff.

No more of my wife paying for “ in touch” at supermarket!

12. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I signed up and am not seeing the LA Times, WSJ or anything other than magazines. Some of the magazines are formatted correctly others are a glorified pdf viewer of a document with no way to tell if it’s an enhanced experience or just a pdf.

13. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Toronto Star isn’t there either. My guess is that tomorrow’s newspapers will be here.

14. stncld macrumors newbie

stncld

As with others on this thread, I’m having trouble signing up. I go through the purchase process, it says done and that’s it, but there is no confirmation, and although some magazines are available, the majority have only the cover and the “try it now” button. I’ll try it later. The offerings look good.

15. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Will they appear under News+ or Today? I see WSJ and LATimes articles on today. I’m confused with the UI only showing magazines.

16. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Both. If you Follow the LA Times, you can tap it to see its articles. When there is a Magazine/Newspaper issue, all recent issues will show up along the top. Try it with NatGeo for example.

60E59078-5695-41BD-BDE3-8BF4036AE113.png

17. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Ok so a subscription gives me additional articles in Today for WSJ And LATimes and news+ will be for magazine content only? I wish I could turn off content that wasn’t optimized. The scrolling required for a pdf style magazine is horrible.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Can anyone with a current subscription to a magazine compare it to the Apple News version? The first magazine I checked out, the New Yorker, is highly gimped compared to the NYer app.

19. dantracht macrumors 6502

dantracht

Anyone figure out how to share with family members?

20. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

You can block publications. I already did a once over and blocked almost every gossip rag I could find.

21. bvledford macrumors member

22. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Family members are set up in your Apple ID in Settings. Everyone in your family will gain access to family subscriptions like Apple News+ and Apple Music if you have a family subscription.

23. ssiva macrumors newbie

Doesn’t seem to work. No one in my family can access my subscriptions and it is asking them to subscribe

24. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

The "cancel now equals instant stoppage" thing is clearly designed to stop people trialing it and immediately unsubscribing without giving it a fair chance.

A rather lowlife way to get the many people who "forget to unsubscribe" at the end of the trial period! And continue paying without realising and considering stopping or staying.

Really Apple, did you have to do it that way, or is the service so unworthy you have to trick users into staying on it.

25. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

How about people take ownership of their own need to do this? Do we really need Apple to babysit our every move?