How to sing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fernandovalente, May 20, 2011.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Hey,

If there's something I always loved ever since I was a kid, it's music. For some reason, it gives me an unexplainable energy and changes my emotions. Sometimes, I'm possessed by it. It's like something that burns inside me.

As a music lover, I'd love to make music too. I thought about starting with an electric guitar, but I don't have enough money to buy one. So I'm thinking about learning how to sing. I know almost nothing about it. I'm not considering hiring any teacher at this moment(because of financial reasons). Do you guys think it's possible to learn how to sing without a teacher? If yes, how do I get started in it?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

glad to see you're so interested in music. the easiest way to start learning how to sing is by singing along with your favorite songs. In order to hear if you are in tune cover one of your ears. now singing in tune takes a combination of two things. practice is probably 80% but natural talent is the first 20%. unfortunately if you are not able to match pitches by ear it will be very difficult for you to sing in tune. if you lack this 20% you may enjoy it and thats great but no one else will want to listen to you unfortunately.

at some point you will need to hire a teacher to teach more advanced techniques but have fun with it. that is the most important part

3. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

the only problem with learning how to sing without a teacher is you do not have someone there who is professional to help you lose "bad vocal habits" and gain Good vocal habits. Just watch some American Idol auditions and youl see. always remember if you do not have someone who isnt your close friend/family listen, you will almost never know how good or bad your singing is. Welcome to the music world it sure is fun!

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I can't agree more with your post.:)

Just consider the fact that the way we hear ourselves speaking and singing is different than the way other people hear it. While it is possible to learn by yourself, a teacher (and a good one, some teachers have a reputation of ruining voices) will help progress better, faster and achieve a better level.

5. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Another question. I've seen people who can sing with other people's voice(i.e. someone singing with Joan Jet's voice). Is that hard to do?

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

depends on the individual. just like impersonation someone's speaking voice some people can and some people can't

Im going to have to disagree with jdwagner888 & lewis 82. A voice coach is not essential in learning how to sing. As i said eventually he will want to but he specifically asked if its possible to learn with out a teacher and yes, it is. i know many singers that i've played with who have never taken voice lessons and they are amazing singers.

Now if the OP wants to become a classical tenor or bass then yes voice lessons will be needed.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

This entirely depends on how well the OP wants to be able to sing ;)

You can probably self-teach yourself to be decently ok at singing.

8. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that's why i said if he plans on becoming a classical singer he is going to need lessons. but the majority of rock singers dont have vocal coaches cause they are not needed for that type of singing. rock vocals are more intuitive. look at someone like bruce springsteen or roger daultrey, great singers but absolutely no formal training.

looks good to me.

10. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I want to sing Rock and Pop. I'm not a big fan of Classical. So I guess it's possible :)

11. Gebtart macrumors newbie

I've been singing for quite awhile. One tip I can give is you won't be able to match every singers pitch/tone. Actually probably one a few you will be able to nail. I can only sing perfectly in tune with singers that use a high pitch falsetto most of the time. A good way to check if you're in tune with them when singing is if your voice sounds like a echo of theirs you're in tune. Good luck and welcome to singing! =D