How to 'sleep' only the primary display?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, Aug 30, 2010.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Bit of a tricky one here -

I use my Macbook + Boxee to watch videos via a projector as my secondary display, but when I'm watching videos the bright macbook screen can be distracting next to my projected display. I'd naturally 'sleep' my display (I even have that function set as one of my 'hot corners') but if I do this then the secondary display, i.e. the projector, also loses picture. I'm therefore left with the options of dimming the brightness of the macbook's screen right down to its lowest setting (which seems to be 'off') or shutting the macbook lid, which naturally causes the whole system to sleep unless I use one of those reportedly dodgy kernel-hacking apps like InsomniaX.

Is there any way for me to 'sleep' my main Macbook display and have the secondary display remain visible??

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I use a either a bluetooth mouse or keyboard to wake it.

with my MBP attached to my HDTV i can either open the lid slightly prss a key and shut it quickly and it will be fine.

otherwise plugging in a device can wake the display when you close it and it sleeps (iPod, HDD, Mouse, etc).

I dont use any "hacks" or anything and it works just fine.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Yeah I can do this too, but that requires sleeping the system first, which just seems like an unnecessary waste of time, not to mention the fact that I'm a bit wary of running the system with the lid closed... i heard on older macbooks that could cause heat/screen issues over time..........

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MacBook vents through the back, near the hinge, not through the keyboard. Operating in clamshell mode is not harmful at all.

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah. Well this sets my mind slightly at ease. Perhaps I'll just do this! I'm surprised there isn't a way to do this natively though; it seems like quite a simple problem.....

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

i'm sorry, when I say 'this', I mean what I am actually trying to do, not what has been suggested as a workaround here, i.e. having my primary display sleep automatically when I'm watching something fullscreen on my secondary display. There's no way to do THIS natively.....apparently........:rolleyes:

8. fedup flyer macrumors regular

As long as you have the power supple attached and plugged in, when operating in clam shell mode the primary display SHOULD NOT operate. I have used my Macbook to watch movies on my 42" LCD TV this way.
    If you display is operating a little digging needs to be done in the system prefs and a few other areas.

9. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

No, you're completely right; in 'clamshell' mode (mmmm clams....) the display does indeed dim, I'd just rather not HAVE to close the lid to disable the primary display. But no matter, I'll use this method. I feel we'll be going round in forum post circles all day otherwise...... ;)

Thanks for your input everybody!

10. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

otherwise plug the display the into the projector (while the Mac is off).
    turn it on shut the lid. the projector will become the main Display then open the lid once its started, etc and there ya go.
    when you unplug it the macbook display will become the main display again.

11. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Yeah I've tried that - I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but there are so many steps involved with that method that I don't think it's worth the hassle.

To cause me to adopt a new method, it has to be simpler than holding the 'brightness lower' button until the screen completely blacks out, which none of the methods offered here so far have been, apologies to those who have tried.... That method still leaves a little light emanating from my LED keyboard and also from the apple on the back of the lid, but it's better than all this sleeping/waking/plugging/unplugging, especially when you realise that Boxee needs to be started on the display on which it is to be used in order to go fullscreen, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna go thru that rigmarole every time I want to watch Seinfeld in the dark!

I can't believe there's not a simple software solution to this issue, but oh well! :)