how to slow down load cycle count with optibay drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

so i just put my hitachi 7k750 in the optibay yesterday and my load cycle count is already up to 200. i only used my mbp for like two hours, how the hell could this thing spin down 200 times???

i usually install hdapm on my drives in the main bay and it works great, but i have an ssd in the main bay and not sure how i would go about doing this in the optibay.

also for those of you that are sleeping the optibay drive every 3 minutes or so, wouldn't this drastically increase your load cycle count as well? mines set to sleep after 10 minutes i believe which is the default setting.

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I did install HDAPM, you have to change in its plist to work on the disk1 rather then disk0...there's a great thread somewhere here on the forum i saw it like a week ago...sry i don't have link but to be honest I don't think it did anything....cause I can still hear my optical bay HD head park (producing a click)

Its odd tho I can't find the lines to confirm its running in the console since I turned on my MBP this morning....it did work the first day for sure I know cause I checked but I don't know if it continued to work after I restarted my MBP. Only checked for that today as It reminded me I had something like this a week ago lol, all in all I think the ONLY thing you can do is follow the guys post(he just posted today) about how to spin down the optical bay drive with scripts OR you can manually eject your partitions which will cause ur HD to spin down until you remount and make sure indexing is off for it and iSTAT Pro is not running.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Was it this thread?: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192653

4. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

theres a command that you do in terminal to make sure it runs at boot. maybe tomorrow we can talk more and figure this thing out? and maybe you can help me get mine working for the optibay drive?

i have a write up i made a while ago in how to install hdapm properly in the normal drive, but i just need some help with the optibay.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

ya that was it, but ill go back in there any say no longer working lol, the trick didn't cut it I'm not sure why, seems HDAPM didn't even load today, and probably didn't load since that day after my restart.....should hav checked:(

6. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't worry you can get it to work. like i said theres a command you must do so it loads every boot. i have the command saved in the write up i made. ill show you later or tomorrow, I'm about to go into work.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

i just stumbled on this thread, how and where do you see the load cycle count and what is a good/bad number?

8. Satnam1989, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

oh ok, ya that command about getting it to load every time is what I need, but its pretty simple to change it as the forum member mentions this:

"I contacted the developer of HDAPM and he told me to "to edit /Library/LaunchDaemons/hdapm.plist and change the "disk0" parameter to "disk1" - since disk1 is my HDD in Optibay. And it works now!"

EDIT ok I got it working, so if you change it to disk1 in the .plist located at the above mentioned location, It seems every time you restart your MBP you will have to run "sudo hdapm disk1 max" and it will say "success" after you enter your password and that = no more clicking sound. I just did this 5mins go with great success!