How to speed up Boot/Load time on 10.5 Leopard???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris001, Apr 18, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

Hey guys.
    Does anyone know how to speed up boot/load times from when you first hit the power button to when your entire desktop appears.

I remember the good ol days in tiger.. lol when my macbook loaded in like 10seconds.
    NOW, it takes ~ 30seconds... ie. power on, grey screen, apple logo, blue screen, desktop, desktop with dock, fully functional
    i know it's not a big deal but faster is better right?

are there any scripts i can get or disable some things... i know how to do this on a pc but not on a mac =0

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have anything listed in your Login Items in System Preferences? Is there anything in your StartupItems folders?

3. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

My computer seems to get things "straightened out" as it goes, so it gets faster all the time, like it's "getting used to" the way I use it.

It seems to kinda get interrupted when I install updates, though. It'll boot rather slowly for the next 3-4 boots, but after that it's fast again. Same with opening programs on startup. For example, I run Firefox right away when I boot up my computer, every time. It used to be slow, but now it comes up almost instantly. If I start up other programs first instead of FF, then FF won't come up as fast if I start opening it up again at boot until it "gets used to it" again.

I hope that made sense lol

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

I dont know about any documented confirmation of this from apple. but it is possible that leopard uses a technology similar to Vistas. Where the OS learns your habits and optimizes itself for you.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It's been in there since 10.3. The slower booting apparently really showed up in 10.5.2, so there is a good chance 10.5.3 will get it back to whatever is normal for Leopard. It is known that the cache subsystem is broken-ish in 10.5.2.

6. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

sorry. i don't really understand what you mean?

i'm the only user on my macbook and there is no password on it..
    so it boots strait to my account.

7. -Alan- macrumors member

I learned the other day that booting into safe mode by holding the shift key clears the caches. That speeds up the boot significantly. The first boot after that may be a bit long due to cache rebuilding. But after, it should boot much faster.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In System Preferences, go to your Accounts pane and check the list of Login Items. The more things you have here, the more things your computer must do before logging into your account, irrespective of whether you must enter your password. Similarly, there is a folder in the system's Library folder called StartupItems. Extra items in here will also slow down the boot process. Tell us what you find in each, and we may be able to help you cull some. :)

9. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I am wondering the same thing. Was it Ok to remove two folders from Parallels Desktop? I switched to VMware, so I guess I wont be needing any Parallel folders anymore.

10. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

in my start up items in system prefs.

there were only two things.

a system app thing
    and cross over help thing

i removed both...

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I'm not sure what folders you're talking about. :eek:

What was the system app thing?

12. John01021988 macrumors 6502

They were folders from Parallels Desktop App..... Since I wont be using those anymore, I dont think I will need them in the future :rolleyes: