How to speed-up mac mini late 2014 4gb ram?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kubad, May 30, 2017.

1. kubad macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a problem with my mac mini 2014 - it's late 2014 with 4gb ram and it has SSD.

It looks like there is still lacks of ram. I use only spotify, safary and there is still problem.

I have a idea - can it be reduce vram? It looks like gpu takes 1,5gb of ram.

Sorry for my english - i still learning :)

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Which OS version? You might be better off under Yosemite (10.10).

3. kubad thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Sounds like something is eating up your RAM or over-using your CPU.

I've heard that Spotify can do this.

There's no way to upgrade the RAM -- but the SSD should smooth out the "disk swapping" somewhat.

Try turning Spotify OFF -- does anything change?

5. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Open Activity Monitor, select the Memory tab, and watch Memory Pressure. It it's high, see which app there is using the most memory.

6. RyanXM macrumors regular

RyanXM

Sell and purchase one with at least 8GB of RAM.

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

That is what I did. I got the one with 8gb of ram. Course I think that model has a faster processor, and double the hard drive also. But it was well worth it. It feels like night and day difference between that one and the 4gb model.

8. ziggy29, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

ziggy29 macrumors 6502

That's a bit of a pickle. IMO, the system shouldn't be reserving 1.5 GB for graphics with only 4 GB of installed RAM. My 2012 Mini uses 1.5 GB for video, but that's OK since it has 16 GB installed. I don't think I'd want to see more than 512 MB allocated to video with only 4 GB of installed RAM. (If you need more video memory than that, your machine with 4 GB of RAM is already crippled.)

Models prior to 2014 can change their VRAM allocation with Terminal commands and a reboot. I don't think the 2014 model can change it since it is allocated dynamically. If you launch more apps that use more RAM, can you see if the VRAM allocation drops? if yours has the Iris graphics I think that is what it is doing.