How to speed up my 2008 MBP 2.4 ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seattlemac, Nov 7, 2011.

1. seattlemac macrumors member

seattlemac

I don't want to buy a new one yet, but my MBP feels like it's running Lion slowly. Opening apps, opening files. One area that's slow is in Safari when I type in a domain, it takes forever to search history.... Any suggestions for ways to speed it up, tricks to clean out some sludge?

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Well here is what I would do, but does not mean you have to do it to achieve likewise results.

I would back up any important files, pictures, music etc to an external HD. Then I would wipe the HD and install a fresh copy of Lion.

I would then upgrade your ram to 8GB if you have not already. If you have some spare cash invest in a Solid State Drive, really speeds up some things.

3. seattlemac thread starter macrumors member

seattlemac

That's a good suggestion. I can do that. Right now I have 4 GB ram, along with a clean, that would probably help. Thanks

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

delete the browser history!
    I think my chrome history is 600 MB now :D

Seriously, a system cleanup might help. As for the RAM, can the 2008 take 8GB? Is it a unibody?

5. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

If its an early-2008 pre-Unibody MBP it'll take up to 6Gb RAM, if Unibody 2008 should take at least 8Gb. An SSD would make things feel much faster too.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

7. seattlemac thread starter macrumors member

seattlemac