how to speed up my internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by homrb, Oct 4, 2010.

1. homrb macrumors regular

Hello, I'm not exactly sure what category this should be listed under so feel free to correct. I am wondering how I can speed up my internet. On speedtest.com is says that I have a 10.71 mbps download and 1.34 mbps upload but for some reason my internet is always slow to load web pages etc. There a quite a few internet connected devices in my house (up to ten (iphones computers, xbox), but not all being used at once of course, with 2 Airport Extreme base stations.) Is this an interference problem or what? Is there a program that shows all internet activity throughout the network so I can monitor it. Please help and thanks!

2. homrb thread starter macrumors regular

Yes... but how? I have a good speed from my ISP.

3. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I'm guessing this isn't consistent with other devices/computers. Try another browser (Chrome's pretty quick, but I still use Safari; I feel like Firefox blows on the Mac) and see if it works faster. It's most likely a problem with your computer and a reformat would probably fix everything, but I dunno. Need more info :D.

4. homrb thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks ill try that. Does anyone know of a program that can track what activity is going through my network from all devices to see if something with another device is going on?

5. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Your router firmware, if you use tomato or DD-WRT can detect that. It shows you all the devices connected to it and how much bandwidth it's using.

6. homrb thread starter macrumors regular

So if my router was a Time Capsule, I couldnt do this?

7. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502