How to speed up/ reduce Finder right click menu?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RedTomato, Aug 4, 2007.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

So I have a PB15 1.5ghz, 1gb ram, and often when I'm in the Finder, right clicking on something (actually I do control-click, being on a powerbook) takes a long time for the menu to come up.

How can I speed it up?

I've wondered if it's do to do with the number of items on that menu, which seems to have grown over the years, and now has over 15 items on it.

(things like Toast it, Quickplay, Quickimage, Archive, Stuffit, Configure Folder Action, Select Label, Move to Trash etc, other things which I never use from that menu.)

How can I remove these additional commands?

Thkx

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think they're held in Contextual Menu Items in the Library folder... I don't use any custom menu items so I can't be sure.

3. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks, that got rid of them. I should point out for other newbies that there are TWO library/Contextual Menu Items/ folders.

One is in root/library/Contextual Menu Items/ and items here apply to all accounts.

The other is in your own account, root/users/(yourname)/library/Contextual Menu Items/ and the items here only apply to your own account.

Looking in both will sort things out. (I keep getting caught out by this)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. I have two but not one in my Home account's Library; just the other two libraries.

5. funn1bunn1 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm so glad I found this post. I tried to reduce the # of items in the right click menu too. I could find the contextual Menu in library, and it has nothing inside. Then I couldn't find the the Contextual menu under my username. Why isn't it there?

6. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks for the thread resurrection :)

What version of OSX are you running? What items in your rightclick menu do want to get rid of?