How to Speed Up Word Startup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by polycat33, Aug 6, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

A friend of mine told me there's a way to get Word to load faster. I googled it and found this suggestion:

Is this the most common way of doing this?

Does anyone know what WYSIWYG Font and Style menus ARE? A lot of sites reference this as a solution but none say what you'd be turning off.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It means that you see the names of each font and style in the font or style that they describe ('Times' is written in Times, 'Bold' is bolded, etc).

I don't know if disabling that would make Word open faster...but is it really a big issue? Word opens in ~5 seconds on my computer.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Also Turn OFF "Animate opening applications" In Dock Preferences

It turns off the fonts displaying themselves in their own font instead of a generic name listing. Another way to make all applications load faster is to turn OFF the "Animate opening applications" box at the bottom of the Dock System Preference. That "feature" makes launching anything take longer.

4. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Word opens in about five seconds on my computer too - if I'd opened it previous to the last startup. If not, it takes quite a bit longer. However, I absolutely love being able to see what the font looks like in the drop down menu, sometimes I actually open Word just to use that feature, when I'm choosing a font in another program and want to be able to find the one I want faster. So... slow startup it is.

Anyone know of any other ways?

5. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out there's a program called FontNuke that clears out your Font Cashe's really well and helps speed up the boot. That combined with turning off that other feature is supposed to make Word start almost immediately.