How to split a video in multiple pieces?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MartinS3X, May 20, 2011.

1. MartinS3X macrumors member

Does anybody know of a program or how to split a large video(between 8-12 gigs) into sizes smaller than 4 gigs? Im not looking for a way to split it then reassemble it, just a way to cut it separate pieces. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie will do it. Although you say it's 8-12Gbs, iMovie will convert to DV and that's 12-15Gbs per hour of video.

3. MartinS3X thread starter macrumors member

So a 10 gig, 2 hour long movie would turn into a 24 gig movie? All I'm trying to do it move some of my bigger movies on to my external drive from my Macbook. My external is FAT32 so it cant hold anything larger than 4 gigs, so I figured I'd just chop the videos into 2 or 3 pieces and move them to my external. But I have not been able to find a program that trims video files that large. Thanks for the input anyways

4. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

AddMovie, perhaps, it is available on the App Store. But if you are planning on joining the video files before watching I guess Split & Concat will do the trick.

5. coops macrumors regular

The program you're looking for is AviDemux...

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

"Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks"

I've used it myself for splitting a long file into smaller sections, or simply cutting and 'throwing away' some unwanted parts.

Works very well and quickly - for simply cutting into sections, you can just 'copy' the audio and video and set your 'A' and 'B' ie start and stop positions then 'save' the cut video section. Seemed to be that you have to do one section at a time - okay for free and occasional use.

Give it a try.

6. MartinS3X thread starter macrumors member

I'd just like to split them so that they will be smaller than 4 gigs and they will fit on my external hard drive. Also so I can be able to plug my external drive into my ps3 to watch those videos. I've emailed the support for AddMovie with my scenario hopefully they'll get back to me with a "yes my program can do that with ease!".

I gave it a try and it had some trouble messing with MKV files(which coincidently is the format my videos are in), however I through a 50 mb music video(mp4) and it was able to split it but it split it into a document format and I wasnt able to play it or change the output format.:confused:

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, more or less. That's how much the DV(Digital Video) format that iMovie uses takes up. You then have the option of exporting your split videos in a different format.

I think that MPEGStreamclip will also allow you to split as well.

8. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

You can try the demo in the meanwhile.

http://www.limit-point.com/products/addmovie/

All files I have split are put in a .mov container, without changing the codec, I don't know if the PS3 is compatible with that, but I assume it is since the Xbox 360 accepts the file without problem.