How to split Firewire 800 on the new 15inch Macbook Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nonononstop, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Nonononstop macrumors newbie

Hi there. I just purchased the new 15 inch MacBook Pro. I noticed that there is only 1 Firewire 800 port, (same for the IMAC as well). I do video editing and need to plug in a mini-dv video camera and G-Tech Firewire 800 drive into it.

I found out that I can't capture video by daisy chaining the video camera into the hard drive and the hard drive into the laptop.

Is there anything out there that can split a Firewire 800 port? Through google, I've only found Firewire 400 hubs but haven't come across firewire 800 hubs. I would be grateful and thankful for any help in the matter.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I use a FW800 drive with a camera connected to the drive and it works without a hiccup, but I'm using Avid Media Composer, so that might be the reason.
    Before I got a FW800 4-pin to 9-pin cable I used a FW400 hub to connect the FW 800 HDD (WD My Studio 1TB) and and DV camera (Sony PD 170) to the MBP 15".

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

4. cube macrumors G5

Many hubs come up when you google "firewire 800 hub" in English mode.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Are you capturing to the FW drive? For me, a FW drive > DV camera daisy chain works fine for capturing to the internal HDD on the laptop, but both iMovie and Final Cut barf on it if you try and capture to the FW drive.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I capture to the FW800 drive, it works not perfectly, as I have to delete the media database every day or two (I currently capture 15-20 tapes per day), but it works.

7. Nonononstop thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Nonononstop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's the thing, I worried that there might be a time where the laptop might not have enough space to hold everything I capture. That's why I want to capture straight onto the external hard drive. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

9. Nonononstop thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 and someone at the Apple store told me that daisy chaining the DV Camera to the FW800 drive to the laptop might not work, which is why I wanted to find an FW800 hub. But if it works for you, then I'll have to try it once I recieve my laptop. They didn't have my model at the Apple store, so I had to order it online. It should be coming Monday or Tuesday. Thank for your suggestion. I'll look into further. :D

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm confused...

My reply you quoted was meant for someone else, who asked if I capture directly to an external drive, and I do capture directly to an external drive.
    Just Avid has some problems sometimes, so I delete the media database (not the media), which is then restored after I restart the software.

11. Nonononstop thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, my bad. I read your reply to quick, if not completely wrong too. Sorry.