How to split up the ram i have?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WozTech, Sep 8, 2010.

1. WozTech macrumors newbie

WozTech

Hey guys, this is my first post so here goes!

Ok, I have a MBP 13" 2.53GHz and a new model Mac Mini 2.4GHz. I use both about 50% of the time. I have 2x2gb and 2x1gb sticks of ram and I am trying to find out what would give me the best bang, if it would be putting 3gb in each or 2 in one mac and 4 in the other.

My every day use is as follows (about even amount use on both macs with all apps):
    Final cut pro
    safari, mail, skype (at the same time mostly)
    World of warcraft, Ventrilo, iTunes (also at the same time)

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, if you can limit your FCP use to just one or the other, put 4GB in it. Otherwise, no question--3 and 3.

Of course, given what you've spent on computers, and what FCP alone costs, if you're using it on even a semi-regular basis, $100 isn't exactly that much to spend to get both up to 4GB, and there should be a substantial speed boost in FCP.

Heck, if you're doing anything serious, the $250 it would cost to get both to 6GB (4GB+2GB each) should be easily worth it, if not the expense of maxing both out at 8GB, if they support it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not buy another 2x1gb ram stick and so both laptops will have 4 gig each

4. WozTech thread starter macrumors newbie

WozTech

Well I would love to put 4 or even 6 in each but at this time we are trying to save all the cash we can to move so i really don't have to cash to drop on it.

so i just wanted to know what the best config would be for the time being.

5. WozTech thread starter macrumors newbie

WozTech

well seeing as i don't have 2 laptops and bot the MBP and Mini only have 2 slots in them i don't see how that would help.

thanks on the thoughts makosuke

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Unfortunate, but I know how that goes, and my previous recommendation stands--3GB and 3GB, no question.