How to spot fake Gevey Ultra S?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by decryption, May 14, 2012.

1. decryption macrumors newbie

decryption

I've got a few friends coming from the US & Canada to visit Australia, so I purchased a couple of Gevey Ultra S devices off eBay, so they can use a local SIM and save on global roaming charges.

I don't have an AT&T or Rogers phone to test, so I figured I could try see if a SIM from Vodafone or Optus would work in my iPhone 4S which is locked to Telstra. Unfortunately, it seems that it doesn't work - regardless of the SIM I put in the Gevey, the iPhone asks me to activate it. I've tried following the instructions here: http://gevey-3g.com/?p=205 - but do not have the white reset SIM :(

So I'm thinking these are fake?

2. gd6 macrumors member

The gevey ultra s's in the US normally don't come with a white sim card either (and I don't think you can use them for anyone but att without a white sim card to adjust the carrier settings) . The more expensive CDMA/GSM gevey ultra s does come with a white sim card, so you can set the carrier properly. I bet those would work.

My guess is that there is a good chance that you have an authentic gevey that only works with AT&T...but I believe that you could use it if you had a white sim card.

3. decryption thread starter macrumors newbie

decryption

Hmm, gonna suck for the Canadians on Rogers :(
    Maybe I can buy a couple of those white reset SIMs...

4. GeveyPro macrumors newbie

That's not true. Let me try and clarify..

The Gevey Ultra S GSM, and the Gevey Ultra S CDMA+GSM are both compatible with the Setup SIM. Some resellers include a Setup SIM with every purchase, others do not as many people do not require them.

A good way to tell if it is genuine or not is to ask if its compatible with the Setup SIM. Many resellers are selling fakes that do indeed work with AT&T, but cannot be configured to work with other carriers because it cannot be configured with the Setup SIM.

Hope this helps.

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

Why not just order frm the official site and remove all doubt