How to spot-out resources, files, assets used by installed Apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sev7en, Jun 21, 2013.

1. sev7en macrumors newbie

sev7en

Hi to everyone,
    I am wondering if there a tool or some stuff to make a collection of required assets/resources/files for the installed application.
    I am asking that because some of mine are not working after a system restore.

Thanks,

2. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

don't think so.
    start with clean install and restore your data manually.

3. sev7en thread starter macrumors newbie

sev7en

Hi,
    thanks for getting me back sooner. I would get a reverse-engineering work around it due to collect all resources it needs (when already installed).

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What apps? How did you do the restore, and what problem were you having that made you think a restore might be useful?

5. sev7en thread starter macrumors newbie

sev7en

Hi benwiggy,
    I would simply know if there is any app let me know the resources an installed application needs to run fine. E.G: it's the same backtracking method of app as AppCleaner

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what algorithm AppCleaner uses, if any. I suspect it is not a sophisticated as you imagine.

If these are third-party apps, I would re-install them or redownload them.
    If these are Apple apps, we need to figure out why your restore didn't work properly.

Also, what exact error message or behaviour do you get when you try to run these apps?

7. sev7en thread starter macrumors newbie

sev7en

benwiggy, first thanks, I missed this previously... I am looking for a reverse engineering trick and I'd like know exactly the linked resources of some specific apps.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

In order to provide help, we need to know as much about what you are trying to achieve, and what problem you want to fix.

I'm not sure that there is a simple command or program you can run that will magically tell you every file and framework that an app needs to run properly. You might get some joy with dtrace. The Console may log error messages detailing what component was missing that prevented the app from launching.

If you want to restore your apps, then performing this task is not the simplest way of ensuring that your apps are correctly restored.

If you want to do this for some other reason, then you need to let us know what that reason is.

9. sev7en thread starter macrumors newbie

sev7en

benwiggy, sure... as you can see some apps need expressly OS X 10.7.x or later or a minor release of OS X to be launched and I guess they can work also with later releases... now I would like check if they are looking for specific libraries or not, just that ^^.
    For Windows enviro there are several monitoring tools as RegMon, RegTrace, SnapReg but the Windows apps need an installation, for us it is not mandatory due to OS nature.

10. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The easiest thing is to check with the developer whether the app version you have works on a particular OS version.

An app is likely to use LOTS of frameworks and files in the OS on which it depends. Providing you with a big list is not going to be helpful.

11. sev7en thread starter macrumors newbie

sev7en

Hi Ben,
    but there is something I can run before the application to monitor what the application needs? Just a demon, I mean... something like a Big Daddy ^_^