How to SSH into an iPhone that is stuck on apple logo?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PhoneAppleHelp, Dec 14, 2011.

1. PhoneAppleHelp macrumors newbie

I have a iphone 4g with 4.2.1-- jailbroken and unlocked with gevey

Last night, I tried to change the fonts in the phone by going to in SSH (through fugu) and went into var/library/cache and added the new fonts. I respring-ed the phone and it worked. However, only the fonts on the keyboard had changed. Therefore, I decided to remove the fonts and have a normal font again. *please note that this font is the same name as Helvetica and therefore, i overwrote it* As soon as I deleted that font, with the Lockclock.ttf and Phonekeycaps.ttf... i respringed it... and all of a sudden my iphone was stuck on the apple logo. I left my phone on over night--which eventually turned off my phone from not battery left. I tried to hold the power button and home button to restart it but the apple logo with the loading circle is stuck. Also, since I am charging my phone, my phone keeps making the battery connection sound.

How can I fix this problem without restoring my phone? I really wish to keep my jailbroken phone with all my data. I did connect to itunes, and tried to backup from my last sync... but itunes will not let me. Itunes does recognize that it is my phone...but it says that there has been an error.

If i ssh into my phone, can I just put back to fonts? .ttf? and how can I ssh into my phone if I can not connect the phone to the wifi since the apple logo is stuck?

Very desperate :( Please help

2. Wnt2bsleepin macrumors newbie

I am by no means an expert in this, haven't done it in a while. I am under the assumption that the SSH server didn't start, if the phone didn't boot. As far as I know, that is the only way to gain access to the filesystem. It looks like you may have to restore your phone. You can still try though.

3. PhoneAppleHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. However, my dad did tell me that I should just wait for the loading circle to finish "loading"... he says it may turn back on since I respringed it through cydia.. but I am not so sure if that will work. :confused:

and I've been researching online.. I guess theres no way to ssh into your phone with a usb.. on a mac.

4. Wnt2bsleepin macrumors newbie

If it is stuck in a boot loop, chances are it will never come out. Did you by any chance back up your phone prior to messing with it?

5. PhoneAppleHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i did backup prior. but itunes won't let me backup from my previous sync...

6. PhoneAppleHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking... maybe I can restore it to a custom bundle 4.3.3? ipsw? but i have to have save my shsh... however, am I still allowed to save my shsh when my phones...like this? stuck on the applelogo and loading wheel?

or would the bundle already preserve my baseband?

7. Wnt2bsleepin macrumors newbie

I can't really help you with the baseband issue, as the last thing I jailbroke was a first gen ipod touch when it first came out. Doesn't the jailbreak tool make a backup of your baseband when it jailbreaks your device?