how to start a web site for ecommerce

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jusacruiser, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I just got my new MacBook Pro today and have started thinking about Web design and e-commerce.

I decided to go to MacRumors to see what people were saying about how to start a web site for ecommerce if you are a newbie.

What I am looking for is some advice on where to begin.

Is there a favorite book or website that can be recommended to guide me through the creation of a ecommerce website?

thanks! :confused:

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Perhaps for starters...

What do you plan to sell?

And the typical answer to "how" is "you outsource it to a commercial solution". At the very least, you'd use Google Checkout and PayPal, but most likely you'd hook up with your credit card merchant services provider to use their online payment system. There are lots of shopping cart systems (ZenCart, to name just one) that you can use to set up the "shopping" portion of the website, that hook into a variety of providers to handle the payment part.

3. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Thank you! Plus a couple of followup questions

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I think I will use either Paypal or the payment system that is integrated within the web host. I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Question though......if I use Iweb.....then how would I hook paypal into that? Would I be able to manage iWeb and paypal through my web host? Can you recommend a web host that works well with iWeb?

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

If you have a PHP/MySQL host, what about something like ZenCart?

I'd imagine it would make things easier in the long run at least.

I'd imagine you would have to get the PayPal buy buttons from your PayPal account.

5. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Web Building Discussion

Now I am looking for website building templates. Somebody at the Apple store suggested www.ipresentee.com. Do you like that one? Or maybe suggest another.