How to start fresh with Yosemite?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fridayxiii, Oct 21, 2014.

1. fridayxiii macrumors member

Forgive me for what's probably a stupid question :eek:

I have a late '09 MacBook that I'd like to update to Yosemite, but I think I could probably benefit from formatting the HDD and installing Yosemite fresh, not just an overlay or update.

The only things I'd like to transition to the fresh install are my iTunes library, docs, and photos. (I've been using Time Machine to back up my laptop every so often.) The few apps like Chrome and Skype can be reinstalled, but it's the personal files I'm most concerned with.

What's the easiest way to accomplish this? I assume once Yosemite is installed I can plug in the TM drive and drag/drop the files (music/photos/docs) to the file system.

Thanks!

2. Maydon0z macrumors newbie

I did a fresh install of Yosemite after making a TM backup of my Mavericks system. With Yosemite installed I opted for restoring files and folders only. By doing so all files are restored but apps and setting get a fresh start. You may have to point iTunes to your library location perhaps. Good luck!

3. fridayxiii thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give this a try and hope my old horse can handle it.

4. Maydon0z, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

Maydon0z macrumors newbie

BTW if you use migration assistant after installing Yosemite, it will ask for a TM backup. Then you can choose to automatically restore files and folders. This way you don't have to copy everything manually.

5. fridayxiii thread starter macrumors member

Did you make a bootable USB drive for Yosemite and install it that way, or just do the upgrade straight from the App Store? From what I've read the only way to do a totally clean install is with a USB drive, but I very well could be wrong.

6. rmackner macrumors member

Make a time machine back up, make a bootable USB drive with the new OS, reinstall OS then migrate over your old data from the back up.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I have the same late 2009 2.26GHz with 4g ram and stock hd.....your old horse will love it! In fact after a clean install I'm having a hard time finding any real speed difference compared to Mavericks.. (might even be a tad faster!)

8. fridayxiii thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! Have you had any issues with wifi? Just checked Macrumors for the first time today & saw an article on the front page about slow wifi for a variety of MacBooks, with no solid, consistent fix as of yet.

This has given me reason to pause for a sec and reconsider the upgrade 'til there's a definite fix, or an update to Yosemite.

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

None at all...Ive read same things,but my wifi works great!

I'm guessing all these users with issues didn't do a clean install from usb stick.