how to stay online when closing my macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hipvamore, Jul 2, 2008.

1. hipvamore macrumors regular

Hi I was always used to staying online with ichat with my imac and now with my macbook pro i dont know how to keep it online when i close it. I just think its irritating when my aim shuts down cause there's no connection. anyone have a solution other then keeping it open? thanks

2. W4133D macrumors member

W4133D

I have the same problem, except its with Vuze.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Make sure you have a mouse and/or keyboard attached. Close the lid. The internet connection will close and the computer will sleep. Press a button on the mouse or keyboard and it will wake up allowing you to use it with an external monitor.

4. hipvamore thread starter macrumors regular

Will I need to an external monitor to take advantage of this or will it just automatically stay connected now that i moved my mouse?

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, you need an external monitor for what I posted above. When you close the lid, it will go to sleep disconnecting the internet. Once you click the mouse or type a key on the keyboard, it will connect. The monitor will allow you to see what you are doing so you can reconnect the internet if it doesn't auto connect such as with wifi.

7. hipvamore thread starter macrumors regular

wow dude thats sick! thanks a lot. now will this do anything negative to my mbp. such as overheating or keep the screen on or anything?

8. rocking4minutes macrumors newbie

rocking4minutes

i have the same problem with my macbook. also, it's set up to automatically connect to the internet when i turn it on, but it never does that either. I'm totally new when it comes to macs though, so i'm probably just doing somthing wrong.

9. ddoonie macrumors regular

10. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

No, I've been using InsomniaX for awhile now, and it hasn't done anything negative to my computer, when you use the program it shuts of the screen, but it doesn't put the computer to sleep, so you don't get disconnected from things etc.

11. W4133D macrumors member

W4133D