How to stop a 3rd party app opening when camera connected?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macmike47, Sep 14, 2009.

1. macmike47 macrumors regular

I've got a Canon app which I use for tethering etc, but don't use for importing photos. But when I connect my camera via USB, this app (EOS Utility) automatically opens. There doesn't appear to be an option to change this in the app itself. Is there a central way in system preferences or elsewhere to change what happens when a camera is connected??

thanks for the help

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just looked at my EOS utility and found nothing as well.
    May I suggest re-assocating files or ensuring your files aren't associated with that app? Look here for how to do it.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I use a simple automator script to keep iPhoto from opening when I connect my iPhone. I imagine that a similar script could be used to stop the EOS utility from opening.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

In the Image Capture app (just Spotlight it if you don't know where it is), and in the Preferences you can set which app to open.

Deleted this paragraph, didn't read original message fully.. :)

5. macmike47 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks whooleytoo, turns out there's an option in Image Capture, like you said. (I actually also found it by chance over at TUAW here)

cheers all.

6. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

There's a fantastic program featured in MacWorld this month. It's called Cameras...It's by a company called Flexbits. it's free and it's awesome. it was the answer to my being able to use 2 digital cameras and my ipod touch on my macs w/o iphoto opening if I didn't want it to.

http://www.flexibits.com/