How to stop automatically turning on when opening the lid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGangsta, Jan 1, 2017.

1. iGangsta macrumors member

Is there an easy way? Without using Terminal?

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

No. Apple did not make it an adjustable feature. Changing the NVRAM from Terminal would be the only way.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You mean for the screen to not turn on at all?

In the Security & Privacy preferences pane, you can have it auto-lock and require login when waking from sleep. Opening the lid is the same thing as waking from sleep, so opening the lid would require login, too. But the display comes on anyway, even though it just goes to the login screen.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

5. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

just curious, as to why its an issue it turns on when you open it? It seems like an obvious adjustment apple made if you open the screen lid it'd make sense you'd want to use the system.

6. ejl371 macrumors newbie

Or maybe you just want to clean the screen or keyboard? Or your kid opened the lid?

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I dunno -- I'm not the OP -- but the fact that several of us are asking illustrates why "What do you want to do?" is always a relevant question.

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I used the terminal command to disable boot on power/open lid and, for the first time, had a problem with the MacBook waking up from sleep. I had to hold down the power button to get it to do anything. After it rebooted, I used terminal to set the behavior back to default and have not had an issue with waking. Interesting......

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Although I rarely did open the lid of my previous MBP without intent to turn it on, I would sometimes to clean it. I'd specifically want it off. But you can always just shut it down and then clean it. So not a big deal to me, but it's nice to have options.

10. iGangsta thread starter macrumors member

Power Button?
    Do you mean TouchID?

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, I mean the power button. The Touch ID sensor is integrated into the power button.