How to stop being OCD about iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aditya_S, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 6s, but I think I'm being way too overprotective about it, and it's hindering my experience. Most of the time I hold it very carefully and don't use it much through out the day at school because I'm scared of damaging it. I don't think I'm enjoying it as much I should be. How can I stop myself from caring about it so much?

2. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I was a bit OCD over my 6 plus when I got it, even with the apple leather case. But, all of a sudden I found my first cracked screen after having all iPhones from the 3G. I have never had a single cracked screen with any of my phones.
    So, since I can't replace it being a trucker and away all the time, I just said oh well. In all honesty, it's just an appliance, one that does a lot for me out here on the road, but an appliance nun the less. Also, even with the crack, my phone is so good, I don't think I will upgrade until the 7s at least.
    Just my .02

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Drag it across the floor a few times. It's normal to be OCD at first but it should go away.

4. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Put it in a case and get a glass protector.

Once that is done the phone will be secure and won't have to be babied. It works.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Have kids. Trust me. Nothing you own will be free of damage. Nothing ... *sniffle*

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You just have to realize it's only a phone and you're probably going to get a new one in the future.. Just use it and enjoy it! Life is too short

7. e93to, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

The device is meant to be used, not looked after obsessively. There are a lot of things in life worth being OCD about (for me, cars, watches, guitars), but a dang phone, a common appliance sold at places like Best Buys, isn't one of them.

So just use your phone without worries. It will be replaced by a new model in several months, and will stop being "newest gadget." And when you get a new phone, you won't even bother to look at your current phone. Your OCD isn't worth the hassle

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Just out of curiosity, is this your first iPhone? The reason I ask is because I used to want to keep my devices in as good of condition as possible but with each release of iPhone I generally care less, could also be that I'm getting older but who knows... I'm more about the usability of the device rather than the aesthetics.

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

For me, being able to finally lease the phone helped in not caring as much about tiny scratches in the screen.

10. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Get a glass screen protector and a nice Otterbox or Spigen case to protect your iPhone. Adore and enjoy it for a week or so and then try to forget about it and focus on your studies.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Trade in your iPhone to an earlier and not so expensive model, and accept it is an appliance and not a status symbol. A 4S will likely do you 95% as good as a 6S.

[​IMG]

12. petecee macrumors member

petecee

If you're worried just put an otterbox defender on it and bounce it off some walls. Do NOT use the phone without a case if you're scared of damaging it. It's a beautiful device but very easy to drop!!

13. eugnandez macrumors newbie

It's normal to be OCD at first but it should go away.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

I dropped my iphone 6s plus , i now have a dirty scratch and dent on the top corner.

That stopped me from being ocd.

My advice is to drop your phone and stop giving a ****

15. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

There are no wiser words in this forum!

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I say if you upgrade yearly, being OCD is almost a must just b.c you want the greatest resale value. If you keep your phones until it really is time to replace them, you can let the OCD go :)

17. throAU, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Buy it with the assumption that it is a tool, that after 2-3 years it is end of life anyway (both due to processing and memory requirements moving on, and the battery life by that point being trash) and needs to be replaced and not under the assumption that its some magical piece of jewellery to treasure forever.

My phones are never in cases, and are dropped occasionally onto bricks, tiles, whatever. My 6 has dents, scratches and a slight bend in the chassis. It still works.

My 4s (which i replaced early last year) was dented, scratched, cracked screen, etc. It still worked when i upgraded.

If you're really worried buy some form of damage protection for it but seriously - accept that it is a disposable device and you'll worry about it a lot less.

Don't get me wrong, i love my iDevices, but never forget what they are. They're nice, well made and shiny, but they're still a tool to do a job. With an expiry date.

Yes maybe you'll have an unlucky drop, but i treat phones pretty bad (not deliberately, but i run no case and use them a lot, drop them, etc.) and since the 3G, iPhones have been far more durable than any previous phones I've ever had (and I'm including some old school nokias in that - like the 5110).

18. laudern macrumors 6502a

This is the reason why I actually like keeping my phone for as long as possible. Now my iPhone 5 is so old I care even less about it. Any drop or bang against a hard surface and I don't really care.

19. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

Am I the only who thinks the OP/TC isnt serious?

20. btbam91 macrumors regular

Either that or he has some serious social issues.

21. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

You'd think, but given some of the postings on here it's very difficult to be sure.

22. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I find after the first mark or scratch you become less OCD and just think oh well.

It will be upgrade time before you know it anyway.

23. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Am I the only one who is really irked by people constantly saying they're 'OCD' about their phone when they mean over protective?

Clearly they're zero idea what OCD actually means.

24. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I used to be super protective of my devices. I removed the screen protector from my iPhone and the screen has a number of scratches. I just said oh well, I'll get another phone soon anyways, and dealt with the fact that my screen won't be perfect.