How to stop competitor from stealing my content?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jamesedwards399, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jamesedwards399 macrumors newbie

I noticed that my website has been scraped by someone and there is showing some spam bots. Can anyone suggest me how to get over from this situation?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

First hi and welcome to the family.

Can you give some more details?

What are the kind of bots you notice? Perhaps you can post some examples of your web logs.

It might help to know what the site is running on (i mean is it a wordpress, phpbb based site etc).

3. jamesedwards399 thread starter macrumors newbie

How to stop competitor from stealing my content?

I want a hard proof protection for my business website because I noticed one of my competitor tried to steal my website content.

4. mwa Suspended

mwa

If someone can see it on their computer screen, they can download it and use it - the root of the problem is that your competitor is dishonest. I'd tackle that first.

If it's a business expense, you can write off any legal fees.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Is it Samsung :D ? I agree with the previous poster that legal action against them has probably the best chance of stopping them.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Legal action seems like your best bet.

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Unclear what the OP is getting at.

What I mean is that "a competitor" "trying to steal content" doesn't mean much.

Specifically, what happened?

* How did you know it was a competitor?
    * What content was "stolen?"
    * How do you differentiate between content being viewed and content being stolen?

If the OP thinks the competition won't look at his website... I have news for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_intelligence

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

You can't stop a competition from 'stealing' your content, look and feel, branding, etc. However, in some cases, you may be able to sue them for damages after the fact. However, in order to sue you will need to have taken some steps first. Did you register your name? Did you trademark those aspects of your branding that can be trademarked? etc etc

Then again... what you may consider "stealing" may not be seen as such under the law. This all assumes you are both in the same jurisdiction. If your competition is in another jurisdiction it may be nearly impossible to do anything, in a practical sense.

Welcome to the wild west of the internet. I say that with sympathy, not sarcasm... Hard to convey in text...

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Nice catch.

I noticed the OP had just joined and the language used was... odd, but I decided to post anyway not to help the OP, but for the other people that may read this thread.

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p