How to stop fax calls...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by InvalidUserID, Nov 20, 2008.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

OK, so I've been at my residence for a little over a year now and since getting my new land-line, I've registered it on the "Do Not Call" list. However, for the past couple weeks, I get numerous calls from the same # every day. They average about 15-20 calls a day and when I pick up, it is a fax machine.

- I've tried pressing # repeatedly
    - I've tried to fax a piece of paper back to them asking them to stop (line always busy)
    - I've tried to call their business (American Health Marketing).

Grrr...anyone else have this problem? I just submitted a complaint on the donotcall website though I doubt that does anything.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are your number is very close to the one they are needing to fax something 2.

A do not call list will not really protect you here since it is pretty clear they are dailing the wrong number.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Best way is to really try to get a hold of someone there and let them know. Most likely it is an automated system trying to send something and is programmed to retry.

Or you can wait for them to realize something is wrong with the number and stop on their own.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Try a "Call Block" for it. About the only thing you can do, short of faxing them back. ;)

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Acept the fax. Maybe you can see who is sending it and call them. It just might be a legit business and if you aked them they'd remove your number from the list.

You would need a fax machine or phone modem and computer to get the fax.

Other idea would be a smart enough answering machine. Some will pick up the call and route based on what is on the other end.

Getting the number blocked would work too.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Could also be a spam faxer. You said you tried to call the business. What happened?

7. InvalidUserID thread starter macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I tried to call the business but the phone just rings and rings. After certain hours, the automated message comes on saying to call back during normal hours.

And no, I don't think this is an error. I searched the # that is on my caller ID and there are websites that other people complain about the same # faxing them numerous times a day. This has been going on for a while now, it seems like some days are heavier than others and always during the same time of day.

Grrr...

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

can you call the phone company and have them block the number? Will they do such a thing? Reminds of that Seinfeld episode.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a spam faxer alright, certainly not a wrong number. Your new number was probably a fax line at one time. This is what they do. It's illegal, they know, and they don't care -- so don't expect them to stop. You can report them to the FCC, but I haven't known that to do much good. Blocking the number is your best bet, which you should be able to do with caller ID.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/unwantedfaxes.html

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This happened to me a few years ago. Nothing worked to stop it. I finally borrowed a neighbor's fax machine, received the fax and called the number on it to remove me from the list. That worked.

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Fax bomb them. Tape a loop of black construction paper into a fax machine, and fax them indefinitely until they run out of ink.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it was a spam faxer, that would be most unusual. Most of them use remove requests for nothing more than a verification that you've got an active fax machine on the line.

I know someone who tried this once, and ended up in a fax war with the spammer. Proceed with caution, and assume that you are dealing with criminals, because you almost certainly are.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

And what was the outcome?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This was years ago, and I don't recall the details, but I think the idiot targeted his fax machine for some time after that.

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Is it possible to mask your fax number in the same way that some people mask their phone numbers?

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've never heard of such a thing. My solution was to ditch the landline fax and go to an internet-based toll free fax number. Not only is this much, much less expensive and more convenient, I don't get any junk fax at all anymore.