How to stop Google from tracking you?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cyborg21, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hello! First of all sorry for my bad english. So we all know that Google wants our personal information and they are everywhere, Google search, google ads, gmail. Is just not using Google products will stop them or can they still get information from Google ads on websites? Thank you :)

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

From my days of DOD work, we would only assume the computer could not be tracked or hacked when we unplugged it from the wall and locked it in a secure room.

4. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

As all that data is being sent by you to their server I dont see how you could hide or mask it.

Mega has an encryption that even the people who own the servers cant break and only the user can access, but the owner of that service is in trial with the US government and gonna be shut down soon because they want to see all.

5. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Oh, wouldn't a free internet good? Imagine we wouldn't tracked by companies like Google, Yahoo etc. I mean, yes there should be rules in internet but all those personal data companies are too much.

6. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

I'm using Ghostery, TrackMeNot and Startpage as search engine (which uses Google search results)

7. Ragnar-Kon macrumors member

In short: unplug your ethernet cord.

Ghostery and Epic Browser will certainly protect you from Google (assuming you avoid all Google services, including YouTube). But in reality you are just trading tracking by Google for slightly-less tracking by Ghostery/Epic. So I guess if your end goal is to prevent only Google from tracking you, then one of those two would work.

The best option to stay as anonymous as possible is to use an onion network, such as Tor. But prepare yourself for a slow internet.

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Startpage is a good replacement for Google. I use it all the time. NoScript can block trackers pretty well. Of course, nothing stops Google from tracking you when you use their servers, so try to cut down on it as much as possible.

9. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

Startpage is good, but image search can't be compared to the google one

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I use StartPage.

I also have a firewall. The first rule is "Deny: *google*. The subsequent rules deny access to any and every Google property I can identify.

A.

11. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

How do you block google with a firewall?

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you have a firewall (hardware or software), then you can define rules. In my case I am using Little Snitch, a software firewall. My first rule is to deny any connection, by any program, to any destination in the domain 'google.com'. The same goes for google analytics, doubleclick, and so on.

In addition, and this is not for everyone, I run Safari with a whitelist, e.g. it can only connect on port 80 to pre-defined hosts. Any other connections are automatically blocked. If I want to go to a new site with Safari, I have to add a rule for it explicitly. I make rules to automatically allow access to sites I visit regularly, like MacRumors.

The end result is that I know, with some confidence, what connections my machine is making at any moment in time. I also do not see very many ads :)

A.