How to stop HTML5 autoplay in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BobbyCat, Jan 23, 2012.

1. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

If somebody can tell me how to prevent Safari from autoplaying all HTML5 videos as soon as a webpage is opened, I'd be really grateful.
    Very irritating indeed.
    At least with ClickToFlash, the user can decide which Flash videos to play and when. Surely there must be a similar feature with HTML5?

2. simsaladimbamba

If it is YouTube you have the problems with, unsubscribe from the HTML5 beta at www.youtube.com/html5 .

Do you maybe have some extension installed, that forces HTML5?

3. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

Are you using this version of click to flash: http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

The default behaviour is to auto play all HTML 5 videos.

To change the settings:

1) Right click and click on the click to flash preferences
    2) Select the media player tab
    3) Select the behaviour how you want the plugin to react upon identifying HTML 5 videos by changing the Initial behaviour settings.

Hope this helps.

4. BobbyCat thread starter macrumors regular

BobbyCat

simsaladimbamba & Cmd-the-World

Problem solved! I recently updated ClickToFlash and changed the settings inadvertently. I had autoplay enabled and couldn't figure out what triggered that behavior.
    1.000 thanks :)

5. Squishy Tia macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

Normally I don't necro threads, but because this thread comes up first in the Google searches for disabling HTML5 in Safari, I thought I'd put in this information too since it is relevant.

If you have the YouTube 5 Safari extension installed, you need to also uncheck the "autoplay YouTube videos on YouTube.com?" option, as this also controls all HTML5 video in Safari. I found that until I disabled that setting HTML5 video on Bleacherreport.com (CNN's pathetic sports news site...ugh) and others would still autoplay.

So just a heads up, if you have this extension in addition to ClickToFlash, make sure to uncheck that preference checkbox.