How to stop iMac from looking for keyboard/mouse?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kap09, Jul 2, 2009.

1. kap09 macrumors 6502

So after upgrading to a mbp as my main machine, I retired my old imac to the bedroom for media center duty.

I've got things close to how I want them with front row and plex doing most of the dirty work. For my planned use, no keyboard or mouse are needed. A combo of the apple remote and snatch on my itouch are doing quite well.

The problem is, if I turn the machine off, it sees no mouse or keyboard over usb, and attempts to find them over bluetooth. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this? I've tried just turning bluetooth off before shutdown, but this doesn't seem to solve it. This is REALLY annoying, as I'd prefer to keep the machine off more often rather than having is sleep all the time.

2. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Does anyone know this. It would really help me too. I have a mac mini that i use in my car and I use my iphone as keyboard and mouse. It is just a pain to have to actually keep an keyboard and mouse plugged in just so that doesnt pop up.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how does the summer heat affect the mini in the car?

4. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Never had a problem. It is not in my car now because I recently changed cars. Had it in 2 different cars over two different summers with no problem. Im in New Jersey so the Mini has seen 90 degree heat and freezing cold. I put up a how to on my install. just search for mac mini in car and you will find it.

5. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? I have a new mini and am looking to use it as a media server but every time it wakes it looks for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I could have it never sleep but I"m hoping for a better solution. I'm using Rowmote for input.

6. sharon22 macrumors regular

I don't know the answer to this, yet... but just in case you haven't thought of this, make sure to go into System Preferences / Bluetooth, and then click on "Advanced," and then:

make SURE that all those "Open Bluetooth Assistant" thingys are Unchecked.

Meanwhile, I'll do some googling for you ;)

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, that should do it. I was wondering why it wasn't popping up on my headless Mac mini and those two checkboxes are unchecked.

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Out of interest, what do you do with a mac mini in the car?

9. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Have all previously paired devices been unpaired?

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

On mine yes. Nothing is paired or ever has been.