How to stop iPhone from downloading upgrades??

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 7enderbender, Jul 1, 2014.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Here we go again. Another update that wasn't my choice to download. But what's weird is it only forced itself onto my iPhone 5 but not my wife's 5s.

I know that it's still my choice to install or not but the upgrade file is sitting in the memory and can't be removed.

Both phones were set to wifi and charging over night. Neihter was connected to a computer.

I'm ok with this new version of 7 if it fixes all the stuff that didn't work quite right before (I doubt that but we'll see). But I most certainly feel done with any updates on our current devices. I won't have iOS 8 and I won't have Yosemite on my Macs. How can I prevent this endless circle of upgrades and updates being pushed on the devices?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

There is no way to do this because Apple decreed it so. Or at least not as far as I'm aware. There may be a jailbreak tweak.

4. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Has anyone ever questioned the legality of that? To me this feels like buying a house from somebody and then in the fine print having to give them the right to kick in my door at random and dump their trash in my kitchen. You couldn't even do this to somebody renting.

And last time I checked I actually owned my device. I'm so sick of these bearded tech hipsters with poor taste who think that everything is fair game because their bosses said so.

The Microsoft world was annoying and dysfunctional at times but this ***** feels worse. I'm really starting to regret having spent thousands of dollars on my switch to the other side. Yes, a bunch of things are better. Others not so much. And the "it just works" is most certainly a myth.

Safari is still crapping out. How hard can it be to fix that? But meanwhile we're obsessed with the prettiness of it all and shiny new fonts.

5. white4s macrumors 65816

jailbreak it & you won't have to deal with apple's ******** no more :D

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course though I'm unaware of anyone actually bringing a lawsuit - of course if that does happen, only the lawyers win.

I'm not defending them, not at all, I want to make the choice of downloading the OS, I don't a patch sitting on my phone taking up space.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I thought that they now gave you a choice on iOS7; is the OP running iOS6? I know this was always a problem before but read that Apple changed it. If not I will certainly never own another iPhone.

8. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Nope. I'm on iOS7. Over night the upgrade file automatically pushed to my iPhone 5. This did not happen on my wife's 5s running the same OS version.
    Nothing was plugged into the computer. Both were just charging and set to Wifi.

The latter also leads to the question if Apple then also decided to suck my data plan dry because from all I know Wifi goes idle when the phone is going to sleep (or whatever you want to call that).

9. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Apple didn't use any of your data...when connected to a power source, wifi stays on even in sleep.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

didnt happen to any of my devices. do you do auto updates for apps?

and you know the update is there because space it taken up?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wasn't there a news item a little while back about a lawsuit being filed regarding all of this?

That said, as of iOS 7.1 you should at least be able to delete the downloaded update if you go to the usage section in settings and find it listed there along with other apps/data on the device.

12. danny_w macrumors 601

That must be what I remember reading. You can't stop the automatic download but you can delete it once downloaded.

13. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

You can delete the ios update. Go to usage.

14. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Thanks. I didn't know that. That'll help going forward then.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

The hope is that it doesn't doesn't download automatically once again later when you do that.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm done with iOS7 updates too. Nothing that affected me ever got fixed, and worryingly more bugs cropped up with each subsequent 'update'. My phone is relatively ok with 7.1 and I'm not prepared to rock the boat, not unless there is a safari fix...which isn't listed in the update.

17. gaanee macrumors 6502a

That's good to know, thanks for the tip!

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Security fixes, practically with any update.

19. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Google does the same thing. My Nexus 4 & 7 both downloaded the latest kitkat update last week.

20. pmf macrumors newbie

Hi, there is a way to prevent the update to be downloaded. Just disable Wifi every time the phone is charging. I am still on iOS 7.0.6 and no update is stored on my iPhone.

21. Skika macrumors 68030

This is a neat feature whats the problem anywa-

Ohh you are one of THOSE people.

22. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Unfortunately Apple wants it this way, it makes you update wether you like it or not. If you didn't update and went to an Apple store to complain, they would say that there was a new version out and if you didn't update to the latest version, that's on you so they don't get any blame.