How to STOP iTunes from opening with bluetooth speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZestyOne, Nov 4, 2013.

1. ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

This is so insanely annoying. iTunes feels the need to open constantly.

For starters I have a Sony soundbar (speakers) that connect to my TV. When I'm not using the TV I like to connect to my soundbar from my rMBP via bluetooth.

Any time I turn the paired soundbar ON, iTunes opens. I seem to have isolated it to simply turning on the soundbar .. which activates the device pairing, is what opens it.

I'm aware of the 'dummy app' iTunes but I'd prefer not to do that as it's a bit hackey. Can I do this with a plist setting or something?:eek:

2. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

also interested in a solution to this.. why must apple insist on opening up iTunes every time i connect to my bluetooth speakers?

3. btownguy macrumors 6502

Ever get an answer to this?

4. Nikoloco macrumors newbie

Solved for you

This works for me in 10.9.2

In Finder go to Applications and show package contents on iTunes.app. Inside the MacOS folder there is a unix script called iTunes, I renamed it iTunesclosed. Also renamed ituneshelper.app to ituneshelpdisabled.app

After that Im money, my damn itunes doesnt start up and play when I connect my bluetooth speakers :D

5. JetSetiZen macrumors newbie

Awesome - tks Nikoloco

6. specimen2222 macrumors newbie

specimen2222

This worked for me in 10.11.1
    Perfect, thank you !!

7. daolwin macrumors newbie

daolwin

But then you can't start iTunes anymore...

8. TheBigN8, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

TheBigN8 macrumors newbie

TheBigN8

Great work around it worked great for me also running 10.12 macOS Sierra but I did fined that renaming both files disable iTunes completely. Witch for some is fantastic. But I use iTunes sometimes so by just renaming the iTuneshelper.app file will keep itues from opening when connecting my Bluetooth speaker and I was able to use iTunes by being able to open it. I still haven't found any other issues with iTunes after renaming the ITuneshelper.app file.