how to stop my brother from using my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by letswastetime, Aug 4, 2007.

1. letswastetime macrumors regular

i have a month old macbook and instead of turning it off when i dont use it i just put it to sleep. the problem is when i leave my room, my younger brother occasionally comes in to use my computer. i know there is ialertu but you cannot put your computer to sleep when using it. is there any way i can log out maybe or password protect my computer so it cannot be used while still keeping all my current apps open? i know you can do this on windows but i just couldnt figure out how to on my mac.

thanks

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

go into system preferences and click on security, then check require password to wake computer from sleep or screensaver. then as long as he does not know your password he cant get into it, also if you havn't already disable automatic login, or else he can just restart the computer and then use it.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Go to system preferences, security and check the box that says, require a password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver.

Make sure you remember the original password if you have your system set to auto-login.

Cheers,

4. 66217 Guest

In system preferences go to Security and then check the box that say "Ask for password when waking from sleep".

You could also check in the Accounts pane to allow fast user switch. This way it would take you directly to the welcome window and you'll need password to enter to your account again. The advantage of this method vs putting the MB to sleep, is that this method does not interrupts downloads.:)

5. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Go to "System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options (if it's grey click the lock icon and type in your pass)". Now tick the "Enable fast user switching" box. Change the "View" drop-down menu to your liking.

When you enable fast user switching a new icon will appear your menu bar. Click it, then click "Login window...".

Now you can password protect your computer without logging out.
    This is good if you don't want to sleep your computer.

6. 66217 Guest

I think it asks you for password if you want to restart it. But he could force quit the MB, much worse:eek:

7. letswastetime thread starter macrumors regular

wow thank you! much simpler than i thought! this will definitely help :D

8. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

that was pretty cool, like four people said the same thing one minute after another. You all must have brothers you dont want going on your computer as well.

9. wako macrumors 65816

just a tip....

When Im at school, to prevent people from using my computer when Im not around, I also have it to ask for a password to wake it up/from screensaver.

Rather than having the screensaver come up every 15 or 30 minutes or whatever you might have it set as, I have it set to never, and instead I have the top right hot corner set so it begins the screensaver. That way everytime I leave the room or am done with the computer, I just move the mouse to the top right corner and the screensaver begins and is password protected :)

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes I do, and I figured this out soon after I learned that he was getting on my computer while I was gone.

11. letswastetime thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tip....im definitely going to use this considering i am going to college in 2 weeks.:)

12. maxmax macrumors member

you can also go to your keychain preferences and do show status in menu bar. easy access to click the icon and do 'lock screen.'

13. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

If you are using, or are planning to use, Blacktree's QuickSilver application (used for performing actions, such as launching applications and many other things) then you can use this to perform a "Fast Login" that just sends your computer to the account login screen. I used this by enabling QuickSilver with its shortcut key (I set it to Cmd+Space) and then type "FL" to bring up the "Fast Login" action and hit enter. The beauty of this is that it takes about a second if you are using the keyboard.

14. Zawamura macrumors regular

How do you enable this Fast Login feature you are speaking of? Can't seem to find anything about it..