Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolutic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Hi. I am a new Mac user (had my macbook for 2 weeks, loving it, but still learning how to use it). I am really annoyed by Preview app. Anytime I save a photo in my Download folder, it automatically opens it with Preview, whether I want it or not. When I quit Preview, it still opens the next time I download a photo. I can't find anywhere in Preview options such option to disconnect automatic opening of photos. How do I turn it off please?

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
In Safari there is a setting to automatically open "safe" files. Jpegs and other image files just so happen to be one of those safe files. To disable automatically opening safe files open safari preferences and on the general tab uncheck the "automatically open safe files" option.
safe_files.jpg

absolutic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
thank you so much!!!!

you saved me so much headache. I really appreciate it

Louis_macrumors

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
In Safari there is a setting to automatically open "safe" files. Jpegs and other image files just so happen to be one of those safe files. To disable automatically opening safe files open safari preferences and on the general tab uncheck the "automatically open safe files" option.
safe_files.jpg
Thanks!

Tzpendleton

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
safe_files.jpg
[doublepost=1479117437][/doublepost]Thank you so much! This info really assisted me tons!!!!! I was trying to download all 22k photos and videos off iCloud and Preview open every single one...ugh

I'm very grateful for your help in stopping this feature. Thanks again Tziporah

dependencies

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
Mac 10.11.6 Google chrome, and I have the same issue with preview but have no option in chrome settings to untick can anyone help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.