How to stop Safari auto reloading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ninethirty, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Very simple, but each time I switch back to another window in safari, it reloads the page. This is especially annoying if I've paused a video in the window. Anyone know why this happens and any way to stop it?

2. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I think the reason why this happens is because there is a lack of RAM. Instead of the iPad storing the website in RAM, it just reloads it every time. I don't think there is a way to stop this, and yes, it is very annoying.

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I suspect this is the result of aggressive memory management. The best way to stop it would be to get another browser, I'd recommend iCab. Not free and a little buggy but it seems to to be able to handle a lot of pages without reloading, also caches pages instead of re-downloading when you restart the app.

4. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Use Atomic Browser. It has tabs and it doesn't refresh like Safari.

-Thanks
    Dammit Cubs

5. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

+1 to that. I agree that it probably has to do with Apple trying to be as efficient with memory as possible but I think they could do without that. Atomic browser can have several tabs open and you can switch back and forth without the tabs refreshing. Too bad really, a software update is all that we'd need to rid Safari of that small annoyance.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Besides atomic browser is ther any other? Free?

7. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I've been using icab, & the experience is much better then safari. I chose icab mainly due to all the good reviews I read in the MR forums, but atomic got many good reviews as well. Just take a look at both & chose the one you think you'll like better & go for it... What do you have to lose?

8. KatanaAzul macrumors member

I know Atomic browser has a free lite version so you can try it out and see if you like it.

9. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

+1

10. colourtheatre macrumors regular

atomic browser is amazing. i tried the lite version and bought the full version 5 minutes later. it has tons of features. swipe gestures to go back and forward. full screen browsing. bookmarks import. all that jazz. just missing downloads and uploads right now and that would be the perfect browser sans Flash. lol.

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I have both Atomic and iCab. Both are OK, but I prefer iCab.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Atomic comes with a nice little Safari bookmarklet -- it will open the current Safari page in Atomic, which makes life easier if you launch a link from, say, an email address. Since you can't set a 'default' browser on the iPad (w/o jailbreaking), this is the next best thing.

13. T4R06 macrumors 65816

I am a atomic browser before but now I switch to icab. Very simple and not fancy. No waiting..

14. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Same. Atomic also gives you a confirmation each time you save an image. I couldn't find a way to get rid of that. Probably not an option. It is totally unnecessary and it annoys me and slows me down, since i save many images. Don't ask me what kind.