How to stop screen from dimming?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdylan, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

Sorry if I'm having a brain fart, but since I've installed 10.6, if I don't touch my mouse for 1 minute or so, the screen dims. It didn't use to do this before, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to fix it. My cord is plugged in, and under energy settings I can't see anything related to this...how do I fix this? Is it acting as though I am running off of battery power, and dimming after a minute. I even changed the settings to NOT dim, even on battery power.

On another topic, this update actually cost Apple money, because I was planning on buying a new MacBook Pro, but I zeroed out the hard drive and did a clean install, and my old Mac is so fast now, it is as if I DO have a new MacBook! Everything opens so fast, I can't complain about anything but the dimming, and I'm sure that's my fault. Oh, and I'm still having that problem where occasionally, I'll type something and the first letter doesn't show up. I'll type "Money" into google and get "oney". I keep hoping they fix this, especially since I paid $5000+ for this thing...

2. Liqwid macrumors newbie

I use a program called Caffeine to keep my mac from going to sleep when its on. Its useful to get the screen from dimming when I'm reading something long.

3. MKCLLNS macrumors member

so to:

system prefs> energy saver

then unselect 'automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep'

4. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Yeah, I just looked, and it is checked on. That is why I'm posting here, I did all the "normal" and obvious things. I can't figure it out. I'm reading an article on the web, and 1 minute in the screen dims to 40 percent or so. I don't want to have to download in install 3rd party software for something like this.

5. c.dub macrumors member

I think you missed your answer.. UNcheck that option, and the screen will stop dimming.

6. MKCLLNS macrumors member

7. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Brain Fart

In the words of Carlos Mendia, "Duh Day Day!"