How to stop SETTINGS from bugging me with IOS7?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Mrbobb, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So with the release of IOS7, my settings has a big 1 bubble beckoning me to update, but I DO NOT WANT IOS7!

One day, when am half asleep, am going push the stupid update button am sure then am SOL.

Anyway getting rid of that stupid 1 bubble?

Will I ever be able to UNDO if necessary? Am on 6.1.3.

2. curiosity macrumors regular

Just an idea: maybe we can block a specific server ip address in our routers? Won't work on the go though.

3. curiosity, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

curiosity macrumors regular

4. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Thanks for bringing it up. I was just about to post the same question. And I don't want to discuss why I don't want to upgrade or that I'm an idiot not to follow the masterminds on the left coast. I just want to leave things as they are since I'm happy with how I got everything to work for me.

Now I just want to get rid of the annoying "1".

5. Chris1W macrumors newbie

Not only it display "1", It has most likely cached/downloaded the update file, which will eat 750MB++ of your precious iOS device space (If the file has been downloaded it would display "Install" instead of "Download and Install")

At least that happened to me with iOS 5, as soon as I updated to iOS 6.1.3 (because I don't want to update to iOS 7 (yet)), A magical 700MB++ instantly appeared

I remember reading a jailbreak tweak to remove the '1', but I'm not sure whether it will remove the downloaded file

6. curiosity macrumors regular

It's not gonna use cellular data for secret iOS7 setup file download, is it? :eek:

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Oh, for pity's sake, just ignore it. My iPhone 5 and iPad 4 are both showing that.

Tapping on the Settings icon (which is where the 1 shows) will do nothing more than open the Settings. Several more steps are required to actually install the Update.

There is zero chance of accidentally updating your iOS. :rolleyes:

8. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

I have severe OCD and must attend to all badges, so this is killing me. I have the Settings App all the way on the last page next to Newsstand and my Trash folder in an attempt to ignore it. Still giving me the ***** though.

9. Mrbobb thread starter macrumors 601

^THIS!

Yes, it downloaded the dang thing all by itself, using up my memory$ and am click(s) away from doing something irreversible. WTF. Resist assimilation!

10. curiosity macrumors regular

Wow this is annoying. On my 8 GB iPhone, 5 GBs are usable by default, and now just 3.7 GB are usable because that stupid iOS 7 cache file blocks 1.3 GB! :mad:

How do delete it?

11. zBoost macrumors member

I still don't have 1 popup on settings but when I go in software it's not cached as the button says "Download and install".
    So yours downloaded by itself?

12. honam1021 macrumors regular

I believe that it will be deleted automatically when you need more space.

13. NinjaDuck macrumors member

NinjaDuck

Just checked mine. It says "Install Now' instead of 'Download and Install'. Never knew it'll downloaded the update automatically. I don't store anything on my phone so it's not a problem for me. :cool:

14. zBoost macrumors member

I just blocked mesu.apple.com in the router before mine downloads by itself.
    It wont download via cellular data, only on wifi.

15. curiosity macrumors regular

I blocked mesu.apple.com, but it did download the update over night, when plugged in the power socket and on Wi-Fi. Blocking mesu.apple.com does not work. The website spreads false information.

16. zBoost macrumors member

Are you sure you did it right? Because when I block it and go to Settings>General>Software Update it's stuck at checking for update (because the router blocks it) and does not display iOS7 at all.

17. curiosity macrumors regular

I think so... Not 100% sure though. At least this rule blocks Safari website access:

Attached Files:

18. zBoost macrumors member

It looks right, though safest way to check is go in settings>software update and see if it can't find any.
    Maybe it started donwloading before you block it or it just used cellular data to "find" the update and then hook it on the wifi...

19. curiosity macrumors regular

Okay, maybe it works. My iPad has no bubble yet (but it's full of apps anyaway). So I guess it's worth a try.

20. caesarp macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, none of the "problems" result in the inability to use the ios device to place/receive calls or send/receive emails or view websites. The "problems" are minor in the grand scheme of things.

So the stuff works as good (as imperfect) as any Operating System on any platform. No worries.

21. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

Just block appldnld.apple.com in your routers UI.

Then none of your devices will be able to download the update.

22. curiosity macrumors regular

I block both mesu.apple.com and appldnld.apple.com, but just now the bubble appeared on my iPad, too. So I think this may work to block the download, but not the bubble.

23. RobbyIdol, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013

RobbyIdol macrumors regular

Not anymore than you are forcing your views on others. I suppose since you are not a "baby" and have updated your iOS because "it won't hurt," then I should listen to you. :rolleyes:

Or I could have my own opinion, decide that even though something "doesn't hurt" that I simply dislike it enough to stick with a different OS for now, and move on.

Personally, I don't care about the 1 bubble over Settings forevermore, but I DO mind if the download eats up almost a gig of data storage on my phone! I have a 16GB phone that I tend to keep fairly full, leaving just a couple gigs or so free for taking large videos when necessary. I hope I can keep that file from downloading on its own somehow.

Does it really only "Self download" if Wi-Fi is turned on? I mostly keep my phone on 3G anyway, so I'll be sure not to turn on Wi-Fi if thats the case.

24. curiosity macrumors regular

Maybe "Settings - General - Reset - Erase all data and content" might help to get rid of the gigabyte file. Be sure to block the download servers before doing that. I'm not sure if doing a backup saves and restores the gigabyte file, too.