iPhone How to stop sites from redirecting to App Store

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by 3rdiguy, Oct 4, 2014.

1. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

How do I do this? Is there a setting that I can toggle that will stop this from happening?

2. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Glad I'm not the only one that finds that annoying

3. 3rdiguy thread starter macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

It was said that the ability to stop them was in iOS 8 but no luck here

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

It stopped happening to me in Safari. I got a couple of prompts along the lines of 'do you want this page to open the App Store' to which I said 'no', and then it just stopped completely. I have not seen it for a few days, at least.

A.

5. cygy2k macrumors member

Happening a LOT to me the past week on 8.0.2 on certain websites. No prompt or anything, just straight into the App Store.

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

So happy someone brought this up. I've been experiencing the same thing and I definitely recall hearing/reading that this would be a feature of iOS 8. But it seems it's nowhere to be found in either public versions. Really wish this would be addressed, nothing is more annoying than being taken away from what you were doing and in to another app.

7. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I have definitely received prompts for this a number of times in iOS 8.

However, I think Apple is trying to be clever with the warning dialog. I've gotten it several times on sites that try to redirect you to an app after a delay. However, I've been able to tap links that go to apps in the store without any prompting. I have a suspicion that Apple tries to detect where a redirect occurs as the result of a user action or not, and only prompts for the ones it thinks were not requested. This detection may not be entirely reliable, or sites may be implementing workarounds…

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Probably this. People doing stuff like this is why every once and a while we need to have a ruthless dictator running the place. To track down as$h*les like this, take them out and shoot them.