How to stop Time Machine from asking . . .

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dcains, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dcains macrumors regular

. . . if I want to use it for backing up when I plug an external drive into my MBP or MB? For example, I use SuperDuper to make a complete backup of my harddrive every two weeks. Whenever I plug in the external drive, which has 3 partitions, Time Machine asks me 3 times if I want to use it for backups. I've also got another external drive for storing RAW imag files, and of course, the same thing happens. Time Machine is turned off, too. Anything I can do to avoid this minor annoyance? TIA.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

3. dcains thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that seems to be what I'm looking for. But, I've got no clue what to do with that command. Do I type it into the terminal window? Can anyone please expand on this hint and explain exactly how to implement it? Thanks again, in advance.

Dean

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm shocked that you use that drive for so much! What will you do if it dies?

5. dcains thread starter macrumors regular

You think using the external drive once every 2 weeks is a lot? It's a LaCie 250GB firewire, and each partition has maybe 50GB on it. Actually my MB and MBP are synched with each other, so even if the external fails, I could use the MB to restore the MBP, or vice-versa. Is there a better solution?

I was thinking about the 500GB Time Capsule, but I can't see how that would necessarily be more reliable - lots more convenient, though.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ahh that sounds safer. I just cringe when I see people using a backup drive to store important files like RAW images and they don't exist in another location.

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Yes, you type it in a terminal window.

For a bit more on this topic, see
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080114082057330

(That was the link I was originally after to answer the question, but didn't use the right search words on that site).

8. dcains thread starter macrumors regular