Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 17.2, you can turn off your Apple Music Listening History with a new Focus filter, so if you allow someone else to use your device to listen to music, you can quickly activate the Focus with a tap and prevent their song choices from affecting your recommendations.

iOS-17-Apple-Music-Feature.jpg

Have you ever regretted letting a friend or family member use Apple Music on your iPhone after their poor song choices negatively influenced your personal music recommendations?

If you have very young kids, the chances are that at some point you've played their favorite preschooler ditty to avoid a meltdown, only to later cringe when Apple's algorithms slip "Baby Shark" or some other infuriatingly repetitive song into your recently played/replay mixes.

Thankfully, Apple has finally become aware of the regularity of such events, and in iOS 17.2, currently in beta, it has added a new Focus filter option that can help you automatically turn off your Apple Music listening history whenever you give up your device to those with, shall we say, more acquired listening tastes.

The following steps show you how it's done. Note that you'll need to download the iOS 17.2 beta for this to work, otherwise you won't see the Listening History filter option.
  1. Go to Settings ➝ Focus on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the + button in the top-right corner to create a new Focus, then tap Custom.
  3. Give your new Focus an identifiable name, symbol, and color, then tap Next.
    apple-music-listening-history-focus2.jpg

Tap Customize Focus.
  4. Scroll down to "Focus Filters," ten tap Add Filter.
  5. Choose the Music filter.
    Make sure the button is off next to Use Listening History, then tap Add.
    apple-music-listening-history-focus1.jpg
That's all there is to it. The next time music is going to be played for someone else on your iPhone, simply swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen to bring up Control Center and long press on the Focus button to select the Focus you created. Rest assured that whatever they play after that, won't play havoc with your Apple Music algorithms.

Of course, if you don't feel like you benefit from Apple Music's personal recommendations, and you don't have an Apple Music profile where your listening history is shared, you can disable Listening History more permanently by going to Settings ➝ Music and toggling off the switch next to Use Listening History.

Article Link: How to Stop Kids Ruining Your Apple Music Recommendations

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I was hoping SharePlay in CarPlay would not affect my listening history; however, that’s not the case. When driving with my wife in the car, her music selections in SharePlay have been affecting my Apple Music listening history and recommendations.

This article made me realize I can just have Driving focus automatically enable when I connect to CarPlay, and turn off listening history so SharePlay won’t interfere with my recommendations.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Or just don’t let kids listen on your phone.
Good luck explaining to a three-year-old on a roadtrip that they're not going to be able to listen to their favorite song for the billionth time because your listening history is precious.

My kids never play with my phone, but there are occasions when it is used to play their music.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Good luck explaining to a three-year-old on a roadtrip that they're not going to be able to listen to their favorite song for the billionth time because your listening history is precious.

My kids never play with my phone, but there are occasions when it is used to play their music.
I’ve done it. My kids had their own devices when they were younger (portable CD players, MP3 players, and others).

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Well... fine, on my phone... but what about everything else? I have a Sonos speaker that I enabled Apple Music integration on, and my wife's often leaving the house, saying 'Alexa, play relaxing Jazz' for of all things, the dog in his crate. So, I'm inevitably recommended Jazz all the time, no matter how many times I tell it I'm not interested. Figure I'll have to add a new family member account to Alexa.

doobydoooby

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Genève, Switzerland
The chances of my remembering this when I need it are close to zero.

But really, what I need is a way to stop "old me" from influencing apple music. My library is filled with music that's begun accumulating since itunes began all thoae years ago. I don't want to delete it from my mac, but I also don't want apple music recommending bl**dy Abba to me ever, ever again....

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I’ve done it. My kids had their own devices when they were younger (portable CD players, MP3 players, and others).
It works when they're older. My 7-year-old uses my old iPad for this, but I wouldn't trust a toddler with any such device. Longer trips are usually fine for us, but sometimes I need to play some kid tunes on the stereo using my iPhone to make the last 30 minutes of a drive bearable for my youngest.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Any iPhone functions to keep kids from ruining my lawn? 😆🤣😂

View attachment 2306611
Download a tone generator app and play an excruciatingly loud tone at like 15 kHz. You can fine-tune the age group you want to target by varying the frequency you generate. It's also a fun way to show people how much their hearing has deteriorated.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Download a tone generator app and play an excruciatingly loud tone at like 15 kHz. You can fine-tune the age group you want to target by varying the frequency you generate. It's also a fun way to show people how much their hearing has deteriorated.

Shoot them in the butt with a BB gun, just don’t pump it more than 7 times or so
Gotta go old school

• Haha
Reactions: Morod and Sorinut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.