how to store bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bellamichelle, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Bellamichelle macrumors newbie

I use a mac at work and have a few bookmarks stored there. I have an iMac and an older laptop at home and now have an iphone. I usually use Safari as my browser at home and have to use Firefox at work for a program we use that is picky about the browser interface ;-) At home, for the past month, Safari has been acting up when I have multiple tabs open. I've been researching a few things and will have a lot of tabs open while I sort through the search results to which ones are really applicable to the topic. Almost every day, the beach ball starts to spin and after what seems like way too long, I choose 'force quit' and see the message that Safari is not responding. I have updated my software and also run disk utility. I am weary of this slow down so am using Firefox right now to see if it works any better for the projects I have on my plate. But of course, all the bookmarks I've stored in Safari are not in FF. I have exported and imported them before but it seems like such a lot of work as it loads them at the bottom and I have to go through and move them up into the folders that are already there, from the last time I did this. So I wonder if there is any sort of program that would allow me to keep my bookmarks outside the browser, so I could use the same set of bookmarks for whichever browser I am using at that time?

Another posted mentioned not wanting to have their bookmarks on some server so someone could view them to see what we look at, etc. I can see the value, privacy wise for thinking this through so I would like to know the different ways this might be possible, both outside my computer and within my computer. I do have a network set up at home so if keeping them on an 'outside server' is really dangerous, than knowing what options are available for my own network would be good. I do realize that won't help me at work, or on my iphone. so understanding the options is valuable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

you can export your bookmarks file->export bookmarks and save as an html file then import on another machine

or use chrome on your machines and set it up with a google account and you can sync across platforms and computers bookmarks preferences and etc.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I disagree. I found Chrome bookmarks sync failed to work properly. I use xmarks which is available for FF, Chrome, Safari and even IE. I found that xmarks does an excellent job of keeping my bookmarks in sync across computers. It also allows me portability as the act of importing my bookmarks to a new machine or browser is simply a matter of installing the xmarks add on and logging in. I do not allow xmarks to sync passwords or tabs. This is very important as FF has tab groups and other browsers wouldn't know what to do with such a thing.

4. JezzerP macrumors newbie

I've used XMarks for a number of years and found it to be very good at keeping my bookmarks in sync. Yes they are stored on a server somewhere, but one has to assume that there aren't nosey techs having a laugh at your bookmark list. But what if they are? They don't know who you are, and you are never going to ever meet them, so I don't see the issue :rolleyes:

5. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am not sure of the ways that someone having access to all our bookmarks could be dangerous beyond the basic need to watch our privacy issues. But I do think, with bank log-ins and other info, someone could possibly use it to access information that could cause us difficulty, identity-wise. I am not paranoid about things like this, but I am learning to think more discerningly and ask questions first, not after a breech.

That said, I may try some sort of server design, such as the xmarks that a few people have suggested. When I looked at their site, I see we have to choose Safari, or FF for example. I would like to find one that 'speaks' across platforms as I need to us FF on one computer and Safari on another. So I want to find, if possible, a storage platform that will link up with more than one browser. Is there such a thing?

michelle

6. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

It's not paranoia, just futility. If it's in the cloud, it is vulnerable.

Xmarks is now ran by the LastPass folks which is probably as good a scenario as one could hope. Not that LP hasn't had a security flaw or two but overall I think their approach to security is very proactive.

With the daily data breaches we're seeing nowadays, it doesn't hurt to take a step back and examine things a little more closely.