How to store files on a DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by untypoed, Apr 8, 2011.

1. untypoed macrumors member

untypoed

I'm trying to store files on a DVD that I have.. Like a USB.. but it basically just stores it on my Main computer drive when I drag a file onto my DVD, the free space in my Harddrive decreases.. then when I hit burn, my free space goes back to normal. That being said, it makes it extremely difficult to do backup in DVDs, which I like doing.

Help?

2. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

Aw it doesn't work with DVD+R. Do you know of anything else? I don't need to move files around in the disc. I just want to store them and then move them to another computer when I need to.

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

What are you trying to do exactly?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

DVD is not a good archive medium. There was a time when it had the advantage of large capacity. USB Flash drives now have much higher capacity than DVDs. DVDs have not lost their vulnerability to light. Exposure to light will render your valuable data into nothing when your DVD becomes a coaster.

Having said that, what you are describing is how burning DVD works. You only recourse is to delete data after you archive it to free-up space. If you don't have enough hard drive space to fill-up a DVD, then archive your data in stages. However, this is also an advantage of Flash drives. Flash drives don't require that data be duplicated before being stored.

The only advantage that DVDs have is cost. For the lower price, you get temporary storage. Some savings!