how to store mov files directly to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mmint, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mmint macrumors newbie

Hi I'm running out of disk space on my macbook pro. i screen capture movies using an app for educational purposes, and they automatically get downloaded as mov files on the app folder in my Movies folder.

how do i automatically download the movies from that app directly to my external hard drive? since i don't want to store it in my internal drive.

thanks

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If the application doesn't have a preference setting for save location but does (from your description) save them to a particular folder in your Movies folder, you could try creating a folder with the same name on the external and placing a "symbolic link" to it in your Movies folder. Hopefully, the symbolic link will "fool" your app into placing the movies in the external folder.

3. mmint thread starter macrumors newbie

hey brian, appreciate the reply. for a noob i was able to do some research & downloaded Symboliclinker. i made a symbolic link in the app folder (did the necessary steps) however when i tried the app (to screencap a movie), the movie would not save onto the app folder; actually nothing happened. the file wasn't saved anywhere. it may be that the app doesn't allow itself to be "fooled". :confused: