How to store old inkjet printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidg4781, Jul 28, 2017.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I had 2 Epson XP-600 printers for a while and now only need one. The one I'm using is running out of ink. Would it be a good idea to take the ink out of the unused one and finish it off, leaving the old one with no ink cartridges in it? I'm a little worried dust might get in there and mess it up. Is this something to be concerned about? I have new cartridges I just hate for those to go unused and go to waste.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Rather than leave the unused printer with no cartridges at all, replace the partially-used cartridges with empty cartridges. Otherwise, the dust you worry about might render the unused printer worthless later on, when you try to revive/sell it.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

4. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

storing an inkjet even with cartridges in it may still cause an issue with print head clogging. I had to de-clog it manually with windex on a paper towel and that took FOREVER. You will want to take it out of storage and print on it at least monthly to keep the ink from drying in the heads, and the tubes. Its a pain in the ass to get it running again. It can be done sometimes, but isn't easy.