Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
So, I have an unused iPhone 3G that I use for backup when my phone is out of service for whatever reason (sale, or service) or when traveling abroad.

My question is what is the best way to store the phone on a shelf and ensure the battery will still be usable when needed 6-12 months later?

Stored it fully charged? Drained? Cycle it from full to empty once every XX months?

Anyone have any recommendations?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I would just charge it every couple of months and not let it die completely. Should be fine.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Daniel got it right! Half charge is best for battery logevity.

I would get it out every six months and charge till it got back to 1/2 to 3/4 and store it again.

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Store it in the fridge?

Thanks for the quick feedback. Since it seems like 0*C is the best temperature for storage (based on the URL provided), then would it be wise to store it in the refrigerator (that is set to 0-*C)? It's not humid in there at all, in fact it should be quite dry.

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
would it be wise to store it in the refrigerator (that is set to 0-*C)? It's not humid in there at all, in fact it should be quite dry.

If you do this, put it in a ziploc bag with some sort of dessicant, and when you take it out of the fridge do NOT open the bag until the iPhone has come to room temp.

If you simply take the "cold" iPhone out and expose to the room air, condensation will occur (some of which will be inside the dock and headphone openings).

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Thanks for the quick feedback. Since it seems like 0*C is the best temperature for storage (based on the URL provided), then would it be wise to store it in the refrigerator (that is set to 0-*C)? It's not humid in there at all, in fact it should be quite dry.
NO this is a very bad idea. :eek:

If you had just a battery this plan would be fine but your battery is inside an iPhone. It is not a good idea to put any phone in the refrigerator for any reason! :eek:

When you remove the phone from the refrigerator, condensation will form inside and this is a very BAD THING!

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.