iPad How to stream iPad to Sony TV without apple tv?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Batsassin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Batsassin macrumors newbie

Is there anyway of streaming the videos from my iPad to my kdl47w802a tv without apple tv or anything that costs a lot? I'm willing to spend a few dollars on an app is there any good ones?

I basically want to put my movies from my iPad to my tv without the use of apple tv (I tried this app called flipps but it didn't work)

Thanks

2. silentbob007 macrumors regular

No ... Apple wants you to use their hardware and sharing solution ... the AppleTV.

3. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Use this and call it quits. Cheapest and simplest method.

Apple lightning to HDMI Adapter

4. mpantone macrumors 6502

scottw324 is correct. That is indeed the simplest and cheapest way to do it. I use this same cable with my iPad mini Retina to display to various HDTVs.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It just seems crazy to spend $49 on a wired solution when for $75 you can have a wireless solution that works for video, audio, pictures, etc. from wherever you are in your house.

6. mpantone macrumors 6502

The $49 wired solution works great in locations that aren't integrated with Macs, Apple TVs, or have TV monitors that don't have the best support for iOS devices.

Sometimes I take my iPad out of the house. Some of these instances include projection of the iPad to a TV or LCD projector. The Lightning to HDMI cable works great for these situations.

The cable adaptor is the lowest common denominator (and $26 cheaper to boot).

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Apple TV is your best bet. I got my iPad to work with my Samsung Smart Tv using an app called Video Browser but it's far from perfect. It's slow and won't work with any iTunes stuff. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get an Apple TV fairly soon.

I agree about the adapter...why pay that much for an adapter when you get an Apple TV for just a few dollars more.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, I understand that, but this poster is pretty clearly asking about a home solution.

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I agree with this, most TV support HDMI and having this makes it really handy to show videos / photos at family home i.e. my mum who does not have a wifi and internet connection. Also great on holidays at hotels etc.

10. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Here's your 3 options:

1. Buy a Lightning to HDMI cable
    2. Buy an Apple TV (refurbished if you're low on funds)
    3. Sell the iPad and buy an Android device (like the Nexus 7) that supports Miracast. Your TV supports Miracast. But it's not as nice as AirPlay in terms of FPS.

11. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Well, do you like to tinker at all? If so a Raspberry Pi with the media center OS is an option as it does airplay. I have one and play YouTube videos from my phone.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040