Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
Hi,

did anyone manage to get tv+ work on an unsupported Android TV, e.g. Xiaomi Mi Box? I tried it through Puffin Browser, but the stream won't load.

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Nope, no native app available (shame on Apple), no chromecast compatibility and no browser streaming under Android wich is really anoying and is preventing me from watching the shows (buying an Apple TV is not an option).

Well in fact there is already an ATV+ Android app wich is the Firestick one, I downloaded the apk, installed it in my Android TV but then it asked for a valid amazon app store account to check wether you have the right to use it. I managed to also download the amazon app, installed it, login into it but then the ATV+ app said I didn't own this app and stopped working.

So the fact is that an android app is already working but can only be used if you own a Firestick. Weird thing.

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
Alright, thanks. Saves me the trouble to go through more sideloading options. I already sideloaded Chrome and Firefox, but no luck either. The stream actually played once on Firefox, I think, but I was unable to reproduce it. It stuttered anyway.

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
Hey but you can directly stream it from Netflix, Disney and Hulu App if your TV supports it. Its a shame they haven't done anything about non supporting Tv devices.

I am streaming Disney+ directly on my X8500 Sony. Discontinued Apple TV plus a while back. Also, if you use a VPN on your iPhone and have same app on android TV it will give you a good experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.