How to structure storage and backup with new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KDR, Jun 24, 2012.

1. KDR macrumors regular

I am thinking about the new MBP with an SSD. I currently use 4 year old iMac with a 1 TB hard that is maxed out and a time capsule that is starting to send error messages.

My goal is to use the SSD for the OS, applications and temporary storage while traveling. I can figure out the size I need.

My question has to do with storage and backup and what kind of external drive(s) to get. I occasionally share files via Apple TV, iPad, iPhone and other MPBs in our house. While I like the idea of a NAS device, I feel like I'm losing out on speed not using Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 between the MBP and external drive. Is this a legitimate concern and is it just as good to share the drive from the new MBP as opposed to a NAS? Also, with either setup, do I need a time capsule anymore (beyond networking)? I am currently doing cloud backup but wonder if I should do some combination of Raid redundancy, time machine backups to a location on the storage drive or some yet to be determind option.

I'm stuck so any advice is appreciated. Just wondering what the optimal setup is since most of the existing hardware is getting replaced anyway.

2. fzt macrumors newbie

Very relevant issue!

Quite surprised there are no replies yet. :confused:

I bought the Macbook Pro Retina 256 GB flash storage and just like you, I intend to use this memory just for apps, documents, etc. Think for a lot of people the 256 is not enough!

I use my MBP a lot for photography and I have quite an extensive library. So, I would like to store all of my photos and videos on an external HD, preferably SSD and Thunderbolt so that I can edit them right from my MBP without having to transfer them. So, this would function as the first copy of all photos and videos.

I already own the 2TB Time Capsule. I would like to use this as a pure back-up.

My question is almost the same as yours: would this be possible, and what SSD HD would be best suited for the purpose?

1) Temporary storage / apps, etc --> MBP

2) Storage of photo library, videos etc to access directly with MBP --> SSD HD

3) Back-up of 2) --> Time Capsule

Thanks for any help or advice!