How to study for certifications?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pifiu, Apr 30, 2007.

1. pifiu macrumors newbie

I am trying to get certified in the Apple Portable Service Exam (9L0-207) and the Apple Desktop Service Exam (9L0-005), and I was wondering if anyone here has taken these certifications.

I just took the Mac Essentials (9L0-401) last week and want to finish these 2 this week.

I have my A+, and I am quite familiar with PC's in terms of hardware, and I assume its almost the same thing in terms of standards for ESD, troubleshooting procedures and such for Macs.

If anyone has taken these exams, can you tell me how you studied for them?
    I messaged apple certifications and they sent me to two different skills assesment guides for each certification, and I sort of looked them over and understand most of it for the most part. I would still like to review for my sake of not losing $150-300 if I fail one or both.

I thought about getting the Peachpit book, but I really wanted something free if possible, since I am sure I know most of the stuff already, just want to give it a quick glance and review the night before probably.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well I know you would like to take the test within the next 2 weeks but there are some books you can buy that specifically train you for these tests.

Training Book

These are Apple certified books and are pretty up to date.

Please post back as to what it was like. I'm interested to see what kinds of questions were asked. In your opinion, was it hard? Also what was the Mac Essentials exam like?

Good luck!

3. pifiu thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and took the mac essentials and it was decently hard considering I am still learning the macs. I passed, but barely.

I scheduled for the hardware for the desktops tomorrow just to get a feel for it. If I fail, oh well at least I will get a feel for it, if I pass, great; i'll move on to the laptop maybe friday.

4. GAS macrumors regular

Sorry for such an idiotic question. But what are these exams for? What do you get when you pass them etc.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

These exams are for an AppleCare Technician Certification.

6. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I was going to read the book, but I think I will just wait for the movie. :D

-T