How to swap my @ and " keys!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LJR, Dec 15, 2007.

1. LJR macrumors newbie

Hello,

I did this in 10.4 but I've either forgotten how I did it, or it's changed in 10.5 because I can't find in the System Preferences how I can swap my @ (SHIFT-2) and " (SHIFT-') assignments to make my keyboard act more like a British one. I have the internationalisation and keyboard set to UK, but these keys still map as a US keyboard. When you touch type a lot as I do it's a real pain.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

This doesn't answer your question, but maybe it'll point you in the right direction:

I had a similar problem with a Japanese keyboard--it's qwerty, but several of the shift characters are in crazy places compared to a US one. What I discovered was that if I set the keyboard to be UK-English, I could pretty much touch type, while if I tried to use US, it mapped the same as the writing on the keys.

Again, not sure if that's any help, but...

3. LJR thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Makosuke! Thanks for the reply. Off what you said I went again into the International settings and noticed that there was also a British-Microsoft setting. So...tried that and it correctly mapped the keys!!

Thanks for the pointer (even though I thought I had already checked those settings before quite a few times).

Most appreciated!

4. rob finch macrumors member

Glad you got it sorted. Another option is to use a custom keyboard layout, such as this one.

5. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Keyboard layout tool

Another very handy tool is SIL's ukelele, which can create custom keyboard layouts.