Carrier How to swap Verizon phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulie6978, Dec 18, 2014.

1. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

Whats the correct way to swap an iphone 6/6plus for another iphone 6/6plus?

Ive heard you should switch sims, you shouldnt and can just switch phones and take care of the swap on myverizon or in store. Whats the best/safest way?

Is there any possible issues i could run into by doing a phone swap with someone ? I bought my phone outright on new 2 year contract. Any swapping horror stories?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Just swap the SIMs. There is no need to do anything online. All your provisioning for both CDMA and LTE are on the SIM.

3. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

When the SIM cards are the same size, you just swap sim cards. When they are different sizes or if one phone is not a 4G LTE phone, then you have to log online.

For iPhones, the person needs to get the iPhone off of their iCloud account, but that is not particular to Verizon.

One issue that has occurred with phone trades is that the person can report the phone as stolen to Asurion and then get a new phone from Asurion for the price of the deductible. Then Asurion blacklists your phone, which I believe is impossible to get fixed once Asurion pays out on the claim.

The other possible issue I can think of is if Verizon decides to black list all of the phones that appeared on the other person's account, which did happen to me b/c I tripped a suspicious activity flag during the Apple UDP glitch. I was able to get it resolved but it took a lot of time. I am not sure if you could get it resolved if the account that tripped the suspicious activity flag wasn't yours.

Then there is the issue with Edge - those are financed phones and if the other person stops paying, then the phone will be blacklisted by Verizon. You could both go into a Verizon store if you wanted to verify that the phone was not financed with Edge.